Frizzle help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChucktheChick, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hi guys, I have two frizzle a that need sexing. Peaches the red Cochin and frizz the black Cochin are about 5/6ish weeks old. Peaches has more of a baby voice still, but frizz has a deeper voice. Peaches roosts, frizz doesn't (if that Even matters). Anybody have some good guesses? Combs are the same size.

Here's peaches...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's frizz...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, he is not the same feathering like peaches. He isn't soft, and as you can see in this below picture how the only part of the feather left is the shaft. Is this a curlie instead of a frizzle?

[​IMG]

2. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    No, maybe they're older. I can't remember when I got them. No egg, no crow from either.

3. LovemyBabies

LovemyBabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    Hens for 5/6 weeks they'd have big red combs--- Rooster combs start developing at 3 weeks... they get Big and Red, compared to hens

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  4. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Okay, they're probably younger then. I honestly cannot remember when I got them.

5. LovemyBabies

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    Question for the black Frizzle --- did you hatch those or purchase them -- Frizzling on the black one doesnt look right - looks like it was maybe Frizzle with Frizzle breeding.. feathers look too spinly, should be more like the Red Frizzle in feather quality

6. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    nope. Got them at a feed store. I've noticed, he doesn't look to good. Healthy, but not feather-wise. I don't plan on showing him. Do you have guesses on genders?

7. LovemyBabies

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    they look about that -- so I think you may be right in age.. or at least close enough... but they both for sure are hens.. no rooster
    Here's our black hen & her mate Jr

[​IMG]

8. LovemyBabies

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    They are both Female (pullet,hen)

9. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    great! Thanks so much. I have too many roosters right now. If I breed the black pullet when she gets older, will her offspring have her feather quality? Beautiful birds by the way, love both of them!

10. LovemyBabies

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    Be prepared on that black frizzle tho - being the feathering looks as if it was Frizzle to Frizzle -- they tend to have issues -- health, feather and many others -- there's a thread here somewhere that explains it. Tho it may be ok, but be prepared none the less on that lil black one..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by