1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle......how long till I can tell?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tellynpeep, May 7, 2009.

1. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I've hatched 6 chicks so far from my frizzled roo and his girlfriend (Cochins) with quite a few more on the way. How long till I can tell if they will be frizzles or not?
    Thanks!!

2. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    How old are your chicks. As soon as there wing feathers come out. De

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yea as soon as the wing feathers grow.. the wing feathers show a little curl at the tips right away.. may be a week or 2 before a first timer may be confident..

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Oh yeah. I figured it out since my first frizzle chick is now obvious at 6 days old. I was wondering since the first 5 were showing no signs of frizzling yet. The 6th is obvious. Just the odds, I guess (should be about 1 in 4 frizzled, right?)

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    If you have a frizzled parent and a non frizzled parent you should get close to half frizzles...that number holds true for really large batches, but when you hatch only a few the likelihood of a 50/50 split decreases because you are pulling from a smaller pool. When I bought my chicks from a hatchery it said I would get 3/4 frizzle--which was because they breed frizzle to frizzle--not something you want to do. Two of my pullets were frazzles (double frizzle gene) and look horrible. Their feathers break really easy, one died and I have to only breed the remaining girl for a few hours a week to protect her from losing all of her feathers.

One pullet and two cockerels are frizzled, and one cockerel is smooth feathered. Guess which boy gets to play with the girls! I kept the other boys because I want to play around with making sizzles, and I have silkies the same color, but ...I digress. Sorry. Anyway, that's about the way the way it works out. Your pullet must be smooth feathered. Hope you love your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by