Frizzle Mania

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Aug 23, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Well I was looking at wing feathers today - looks like 7 out of the 8 chicks from Lisa (Dipsy) are frizzled! I'll have to get a picture of all the crazy hair if they will only stand still for me. It's that normal to get that many frizzled in one batch of eggs?

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Yes you can.

My daughter is informing me that Frizzle is a breed and a variety for other breeds.

We have a cochin frizzle bantam. She is the center of attention when people come over wondering what kind of chicken is that!

3. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    These are frizzle cochin also.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    OMG, you are so lucky! I only got 3 out of 8 [​IMG]

Would love to see pics [​IMG]

Krista

5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:The problem is they have learned to "jump fly" now and getting a good picture is getting harder and harder...

I will try to get one tomorrow [​IMG]

BTW: NANNER NANNER [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    How old are they, mine are about 3 weeks (I think). I need to get new pics of mine too. The problem you have though is you can't keep them all together unless you want frazzles. I think I am going to make 2 pens cuz I have 2 favorites and I think 1 is a roo and the other is a pullet [​IMG] . One of my roos from her crowed at 1 week old

Krista

7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    They are exactly a week old today. I put my day old standard size chicks in with them and you couldn't tell them apart size wise. They all seem to be doing well together so I think I gonna leave them that way for now.

Do you mean I will be frazzled [​IMG] This is the most hyper bunch of chicks I have ever seen (not that its been a lot)

My D'uccles were sooooo mellow at this age.

8. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have mine eggs in the bator now - they are on day 15 - hopefully I will get a good hatch and a bunch of frizzles!

9. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    That's cool petpaw! You will have to keep us updated. Where did you get your eggs from?

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    "A Frizzle is a type of chicken with feathers that curl outwards, rather than laying flat as in most chickens. While many consider the Frizzle to be an entirely separate breed, chickens from all breeds may have a frizzled appearance. As a result of its unusual look, Frizzles are primarily exhibition birds, and are included in the Standard of Perfection." Wikipedia

My frizzle boy was crowing at 4-5 days of age also. The pullet feathered out much faster....they are both so, so cute!! I'm going to have to separate them at some point also. Too bad because they are fast friends.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by