Frizzle Maran

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flora, Jan 8, 2010.

1. flora

flora Out Of The Brooder

I recieved this Frizzled Cuckoo Maran as a pullet, but the older she gets the more rooish she looks, thick legs, large body, mean to the other chicks, and even has a deep voice. Her frizzly feathers make it hard for me to see if she has pointy saddle feathers or sickle feathers. If she would just hold still!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can get more pictures if that would help.

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    How old is this chicken? I almost think I see saddle feathers, but that comb does not make me think roo.

3. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Yeah, depending on it's age, it looks like a hen to me....

But, doesn't look like a marans.....at least not pure marans. It has yellow legs.

4. flora

flora Out Of The Brooder

Sorry, I forgot to mention she is about 4 months old
    [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd say it's a frizzled Barred Rock. The darkness of the feathers looks hen-like, it's just the legs that have me wondering. If it was a roo I think it would be trying to crow by now at 4 months.

6. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    It looks like a hen to me. [​IMG] She is cute!

I hatched out 6 frizzled EE's and got all frizzled babies, but 5 roos and 1 hen [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. flora

flora Out Of The Brooder

I just talked to the lady I got her from and she said the father is a pure Marans and the mother is a Barred Rock frizzle. So my pullet is half Marans. But what ever cross she is, she still looks roo to me and that is what I wanted help with.
    And none of the roos that are the same age are crowing yet, there is no doubt they are roosters.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Ahh- that's where you got the yellow legs. Was the dad cuckoo marans- or another color?

9. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    flora if you dont want him i will buy from you, or could you tell me where do you get from,she or he is beautiful that`s why i am looking for

10. flora

flora Out Of The Brooder

Most of my chickens are crossbreds, so for this pullet/roo to be mixed doesn't bother me. I am not looking for a new home for her/him.
    I guess time will tell shortly, either he will crow or she will lay an egg in a couple of months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by