Frizzle Maran

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flora, Jan 8, 2010.

1. flora

flora Chirping

I recieved this Frizzled Cuckoo Maran as a pullet, but the older she gets the more rooish she looks, thick legs, large body, mean to the other chicks, and even has a deep voice. Her frizzly feathers make it hard for me to see if she has pointy saddle feathers or sickle feathers. If she would just hold still!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can get more pictures if that would help.

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    How old is this chicken? I almost think I see saddle feathers, but that comb does not make me think roo.

3. chseeads

chseeads Songster

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Yeah, depending on it's age, it looks like a hen to me....

But, doesn't look like a marans.....at least not pure marans. It has yellow legs.

4. flora

flora Chirping

Sorry, I forgot to mention she is about 4 months old
    [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd say it's a frizzled Barred Rock. The darkness of the feathers looks hen-like, it's just the legs that have me wondering. If it was a roo I think it would be trying to crow by now at 4 months.

6. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    It looks like a hen to me. [​IMG] She is cute!

I hatched out 6 frizzled EE's and got all frizzled babies, but 5 roos and 1 hen [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. flora

flora Chirping

I just talked to the lady I got her from and she said the father is a pure Marans and the mother is a Barred Rock frizzle. So my pullet is half Marans. But what ever cross she is, she still looks roo to me and that is what I wanted help with.
    And none of the roos that are the same age are crowing yet, there is no doubt they are roosters.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Ahh- that's where you got the yellow legs. Was the dad cuckoo marans- or another color?

9. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Songster 11 Years

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    flora if you dont want him i will buy from you, or could you tell me where do you get from,she or he is beautiful that`s why i am looking for

10. flora

flora Chirping

Most of my chickens are crossbreds, so for this pullet/roo to be mixed doesn't bother me. I am not looking for a new home for her/him.
    I guess time will tell shortly, either he will crow or she will lay an egg in a couple of months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by