Frizzle Naked Necks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Blisschick, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have the opportunity to do some experimental breeding next spring, and I'm wondering how popular this particular variety is among we chicken lovers. I don't see a lot of people owning them, or maybe some of you do, and I'm just not aware of it. Is there a demand for them? I recently got the cutest little black Cochin roo, and I have a lovely little blue NN hen I could cross him with, and a splash NN chick that I think is a pullet that will be old enough by spring. I'd love to see the results!

2. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    I don't own any but I think their way to cute!! [​IMG]

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Same here, I don't own any but they are just darling!

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I have one! I love it! Its black, naked necked and frizzled. I got it from a BYC member's eggs. I hope to breed my own next spring! I like the VERY unusual! [​IMG]

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I may go ahead and do it then. I got the frizzle and silver birchen roos for free, thinking that I'd breed the silver back to my white frizzle hen and make more frizzles, but I didn't think about mating the little roo back to my NN's until I saw PerfectChicken's avatar. [​IMG] Now that I know she doesn't have one, I'll do my best to see that she does!

6. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I dont mean to post in your post here lol, but since we were talking about mixing breeds does anyone know what you would get if you mix a frizzled polish, and a silkie? Is that a no no? Any pics?

7. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    Quote:Aww thanks, that's so nice of you! [​IMG]

............I'm going to have to pay aren't I? What a rip off.. :thun
    [​IMG]

Just kidding but seriously that would be cool, I have been looking into getting NN/Frizzles in the spring ((and now Langshans))

So, let me know when you have some chicks ((or eggs!!)) that need homes in the spring! Because, I doubt my mom would let me get anymore before then... I want my own coop!!

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Quote:Nothing is a "no-no"...you can mix and match any way you want! More than likely you'll get a dark-skinned frizzle Polish with 5 toes on each foot and feathered legs. The frizzle gene is an incomplete dominant, meaning you only need one copy of the gene to make curled feathers, but you need two copies of the silky gene to make silkie feathers. Dark skin, polydactyly (extra toes), and feathered legs are all dominant.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  9. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Blisschick, thanks so much! I love to hear about all about the genes and what is dominant and recessive. I am a Veterinarian major, so its all very interesting. Do you think they would be smaller too? They sould like they would be quite cute? You think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by