Frizzle or sizzle?

- Serama Mama -

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Howdy BYC!

So I've got this awesome Serama rooster named Blue who is absolutely gorgeous now but wasn't always so...when he molted his down and started getting his juvenile feathers, he had a few bald patches and was kinda scraggly looking. It's my understanding and experience, however, that Seramas can go through some pretty bad/ugly molts. I didn't have any frizzled roosters, only 2 frizzled hens, so I was pretty sure he wasn't a frazzle despite what the folks on Facebook claimed 🙄 But I did begin to suspect that he might be a sizzle.

Why? Well, because even when he was little his feathers always seemed softer, fluffier, and more shredded than any of the other frizzles I've ever had. Now that he's got his big boy feathers (and all those bald patches filled in), his tail has the classic silkie pom pom and his whole underside is soft and downy...and he still just seems fluffier and more shredded than my frizzled hens or the frizzled Polish rooster I kept separately from the Seramas.

So I'm going to post pics of him from before, when he was going through his molt, to today when I just took a few more pics. If anyone has any idea if it's possible he's a sizzle, I'd very much like to know. My roosters were smooth but carried the silkie gene and his mom was a blue splash frizzle.

BEFORE:
IMG_20210307_234104639.jpg
IMG_20210307_234034157.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_20210509_212820574.jpg
IMG_20210702_190355473.jpg
IMG_20210702_190349116.jpg
IMG_20210509_212724069.jpg

Howdy BYC!

So I've got this awesome Serama rooster named Blue who is absolutely gorgeous now but wasn't always so...when he molted his down and started getting his juvenile feathers, he had a few bald patches and was kinda scraggly looking. It's my understanding and experience, however, that Seramas can go through some pretty bad/ugly molts. I didn't have any frizzled roosters, only 2 frizzled hens, so I was pretty sure he wasn't a frazzle despite what the folks on Facebook claimed 🙄 But I did begin to suspect that he might be a sizzle.

Why? Well, because even when he was little his feathers always seemed softer, fluffier, and more shredded than any of the other frizzles I've ever had. Now that he's got his big boy feathers (and all those bald patches filled in), his tail has the classic silkie pom pom and his whole underside is soft and downy...and he still just seems fluffier and more shredded than my frizzled hens or the frizzled Polish rooster I kept separately from the Seramas.

So I'm going to post pics of him from before, when he was going through his molt, to today when I just took a few more pics. If anyone has any idea if it's possible he's a sizzle, I'd very much like to know. My roosters were smooth but carried the silkie gene and his mom was a blue splash frizzle.

BEFORE:
View attachment 2745102View attachment 2745103

AFTER:
View attachment 2745097View attachment 2745098View attachment 2745100View attachment 2745101
He looks like a regular Frizzle to me.

A Sizzle is a Silkied Frizzle.

His shredding could be due to him not being able to preen very well.

I've been told to never breed 2 Frizzles together because it can lead to frail feathers in the babies. The feather will break off really easily and leave the bird with littleto no feathers. Most breeders in my area only breed Frizzle hens to normal roosters. And Frizzle roosters to normal hen.

Back
Top Bottom