Frizzle question...now with pictures!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Aug 4, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I might be getting 2 LF buff Cochin cockerals. One of them is straight feathered and one of them is a frizzle. The frizzle looks to be the result of a frizzle to frizzle mating, at least I think so. Its feathers are, hmmm how do I describe it? They're skinny instead of nice wide turned out feathers. I don't have any other frizzles and was planning on breeding him to my straight feathered girls. So my question is: will this produce chicks that have "regular" frizzles? Or am I going to have a bunch of extemely frizzled babies from him? He's nice and poofy, just not up to the quality of some other frizzles I've seen. I can probably post a pic if you guys want. Am I wasting my time with him? Sorry if these questions sound silly, but I've never had a frizzle before. Thanks!

Edit: here he is. I think he's a great looking bird but what the heck do I know? Obviously his brother is the smooth feathered one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I wish I knew the answer to this....I have some frizzles myself. Two bantam cochin frizzle pullets, and a frizzle polish bantam. I just love them. I bought the frizzles thinking aww, cute baby frizzles, and then I heard "NO BREEDING FRIZZLES TO FRIZZLE!". Oh well, they're so darling, I'm keeping them as my eye-candy flock!

Hope someone answers you soon!

3. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    [​IMG] always post pics!!!! we love pics!!! [​IMG]

4. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    I read that breeding frizzle to frizzle resulted in bald chickens , [​IMG] i've got a polish chickens, would love to breed from them but they are both frizzle [​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    This guy would be the only frizzle in my flock. The person I might be getting them from said they are "brothers", so would I be right to assume that, even though the one is smooth feathered, it might carry a frizzle gene? That's if they are from the same parents. I don't know if they are hatchery birds or what. Like I said, I don't know much about frizzles so I'm trying to figure the whole thing out. I would love any words of wisdom you all could share. Thanks for the responses I've gotten so far!

6. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Frizzle to Frizzle is called Frazzled (a double Dose of the frizzle gene). Many people will keep a double Friz to breed with Smooths because you will get "Better" Frizzle feathers and more frizzled chicks than smooth. If you are doing a Frizzle project it is always better to use a double Friz because the Frizzle gene is More Dominate.

A Double dose will lead to either
    A: extreme frizzled feathers that will molt and be naked part of the year or always
    OR
    B: it will carry the Lethal gene which may end its life early or it could carry the gene and chicks from the double Friz it will die early or may not hatch.

It is always better to do a Frizzled to a Smooth Bird.

Even the smooth Brother will carry the frizzled gene but it isnt as dominate and less chicks will the the frizzled feathers.

it is your choice and what you would like to do with them. Which one do you like better.
    You cant go wrong either way! [​IMG]

Good Luck and keep us updated on what you decide.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:Thank you! That's what I wanted to know [​IMG] I plan on taking them both. He doesn't have the bald spots I've seen on some severe frazzles. So maybe he isn't one? Im waiting to hear back from the current owner. Fingers crossed!

8. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Quote:I've got one of these!!!!! My poor little girl, LOL. She's more bald than feathered 99% of the year. I've got a son of hers now who's a Sizzle, he's got enough feathers for the both of them. [​IMG]

9. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:I've got one of these!!!!! My poor little girl, LOL. She's more bald than feathered 99% of the year. I've got a son of hers now who's a Sizzle, he's got enough feathers for the both of them. [​IMG]

We need pictures! [​IMG]

10. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    I'll try to remember to get one tomorrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by