Frizzle question/ PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, Jun 21, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Do frizzles have different 'levels' of curliness? I have four 5-week old chicks. One I was certain wasn't a frizzle ever since she/he got her wing feathers (got them from a hatchery), but now she/he's looking much more "puffier". The other three are VERY curly. And #4 isn't very curly but more fluffier than a straight-feathered cochin maybe? So I'm just wondering if there is a "grey" area with frizzles or if it is either you are or you aren't! Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I thought either they are or they aren't. But this is my first year raising them.
    Maybe the other one has Silkie to make it look fluffy?

Photo time! We could tell more with pix.[​IMG]

3. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Here "she" is [​IMG] Thank you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. joza2210

joza2210 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I have just bred my frizzle and i have one exactly the same and that is 5 weeks old too ... I hope it is a frizzle though....

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    He/She doesn't look like a frizzle to me. Unless you breed frizzles to frizzles (or pure frizzle to smooth), there's always a chance of a smooth feathered bird (in fact, there's a big chance).

6. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you! The more I looked at pics of other cochins, I realize she's straight-feathered [​IMG]

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Frizzles will not alway's produce the BIG fluff if you breed them Together.They should have a smooth feather bird Either Hen Or ROO .If they continue to breed frizzle frizzle the feather's will become shorter and not as fluffy.I didn't know this when I got my first one's.Some will hatch smooth.I had a couple of stubby feathered hen's but they were the love of my life.I have hatched NN frizzle's, Polish frizzle,Silkie frizzle and the one of the prettiest birds I had was a frizzle/silver sebright.If you breed non feather legged you may get a lot less leg feathering or sometime's none.But They all turn out looking cool I think and My buyer's snapped up all of my mixes fast.Depend's on what people want..I got Some Giant Cochin/ frizzle this time actualy just snapped these this morn early they were enjoying the morning sun at 7:30 am.I got a couple Odd color's Black White but 4 hen's and 2 roo's a mix of 4-2 Frizzle/ smooth . Dunno what the chick's are gonna look like maybe a mudpie but I will still Love them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    All good info - thank you! And your chickens are gorgeous!!

9. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    p.s. From these pics, can anyone tell what gender the straight-feathered one is? I'm convinced she's a she... and her name is Trixie since she 'tricked us' by being a non-frizzle! [​IMG]

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks boy-ish....

don't breed frizzle to frizzle, being a dominant gene (you only need one dose to produce the normal frizzle look), you will produce 25% of your chicks with double dose F, while they're handy in the breeding pen, the birds themselves look horrible with brittle feathers....
    by summer, most of their feather will be broken and they'll look like freshly rescued battery hens (quil feathered).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by