FRIZZLE QUESTION

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tnkinhunting, Mar 5, 2008.

1. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I have half frizzle, half smooth feathered bantams. I had six hatch, one frizzle, one smooth feathered, four cochin in looks. I was told that the ones that were'nt frizzle were important for breeding - how so? Do I breed them to smooth feathered or to their own kind?

2. sclanimals

sclanimals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Utah
    A frizzle cochin needs to always be bred to a smooth feathered cochin. Always. Otherwise you'll have a frazzled frizzle, not good.

3. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    Yes exsactly what sclanimals said you need to breed a smooth cochin to a frizzle cochin to get a good frizzle boy thats a tongue twister to say:p

4. tnkinhunting

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Ok, my frizzle had 6 - 4 didn't frizzle - so I should breed them to cochins and should get frizzle's?

5. Hi Diane!
    The smooth offspring from a frizzle cross won't produce frizzles unless you breed them back to a frizzled bird (if that's what you were asking).

There was something I read about the smooth birds from a frizz cross carrying a modifying gene and making better frizzles when crossed back to a frizzled bird, but I've never seen that [​IMG]

The frizzle gene seems to me to act like the naked neck gene --- one parent has to show the trait or none of the offspring can inherit it.

It's quite unlike the silkie-feather gene.
    If you mate two regular feathered birds that both have Silkie in their background, there is a chance you'll get silkie-feathered offspring.
    It has to do with recessive (silkie feathering) and dominant (naked neck and frizz) genes.

I understand just enough to to make the crosses I want and get what I want. I wish I could explain it better, but I'm not a good explainer.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. tnkinhunting

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Hi Lisa,

I need to post some pics of these five chicks - one is frizzled - one is smooth - three are like cochins or cochins crosses - they are not smooth feathered nor are they frizzled.

So, what I could do with them is cross back to frizzles to improve them? I also read that those that did not come frizzled, were still valuable for breeding frizzle's.

Let me also clarify "smooth feathered" slick feathered not poofy, or fluffy like a cochin. The hen's that layed the egg's for these were "smooth feathered" as in old english game bantam's or Pyle bantams.

I hope I have made some sense here![​IMG]

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I am not sure what you mean by improve them. What breed is your Frizzle bird. If you are breeding Frizzled Cochins then your Frizzle bred to any smooth bird will produce approx. 50% of smooth and 50% Frizzled birds. Cochin Feathers are more loosely layered than some other birds so the offspring from your mating will have similar feathers. There really is nothing to improve if the bird are representative of that breed.

There are Frizzled birds in many breeds, Polish and Japs come to mind as well as my Sizzles. It depends on what your are breeding. Pictures would help. When you say Bantam do you mean your run of the mill game bird bantam? The feathers on those are defintely tighter than a Cochin. You need to pick a breed and breed your Frizzle back to what ever breed you want and work towards perfecting the breed of your choice. Just remember to breed Smooth to Frizzle.

8. tnkinhunting

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Here is my roo - a cochin frizzle

[​IMG]

Here is one of the hens

[​IMG]

Here are the offspring - one frizzle the rest have a cochin look....the smooth feathered one looks like the hen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I love frizzles [​IMG]

10. tnkinhunting

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee