Frizzle question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BUG126, Jul 12, 2008.

1. BUG126

BUG126 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    We ordered 15 frizzles. 4 have flat feathers, the rest are frizzled, some puffy and cute, others NASTY looking. Our roo is my avatar pic, he is obviously frizzled. Would it be ok to cross him with the flats or would we run the risk of over frizzle? Also...what the heck is wrong with this one?? Her name is Beauty [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yes, you can breed him with your smooth feathered girls. Beauty looks like a curly [​IMG]

3. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Quote:Even though they were supposed to be frizzles but didnt end up that way, its still ok? I dont want any more like Beauty. I wanted to name her Nappy, but hubby said no. [​IMG]

4. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yes, it's ok to breed them. How old is Beauty?

5. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Almost 15 weeks. So not close to laying yet. I really dont know what to do with her, besides laugh and point fingers. Most of the others are decent looking, theres a few more that a kinda scrappy, but not as bad. Never ordering frizzles from the feed store again.

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    If you can find a white male, that is smooth feathered (doesn't carry the frizzle gene) you could breed her with 100% result of a frizzle.

7. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say Dustin...

8. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Quote:hmmmm......very interesting [​IMG]

9. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    please don't cull her..... it's not her fault she's the "ugly duckling".she might would even make a great broody one day. but do the curly birds need more protection from cold weather?

10. BUG126

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Quote:oh no worries! couldnt do that to a otherwise healthy chicken. I live in WA State, so the weather is pretty mild. I hope she wont get sunburnt...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by