Frizzle serama fertility problems

nchls school

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
Earlier this week I candled eggs from the frizzle hen in my avatar and found each egg to be clear. My first thought was that the rooster might be sterile as I have not gotten any chicks from him yet. This morning I candled the eggs in the nest shown in the picture. Two of the eggs were from the frizzle-clear. The other four eggs were from two other serama hens; all four were fertile and developing. So it would appear that the frizzle hen is sterile-could the frizzle feathering be preventing copulation? Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. When she is ready to start laying again I plan on removing the vent feathers. I have had this problem occur in other bird species and removing vent feathers produced fertile eggs.

I think you may have identified the problem. Some breeds like Orpington or Cochin, especially show quality birds, have such dense feathers the rooster has trouble hitting the spot. It’s generally not a problem with hatchery quality birds. Their feathers generally aren’t that thick. Some breeders typically trim or pluck the vent feathers on hens and the rooster to aid fertility. If you pluck they’ll grow back. If you trim they won’t grow back until the next molt. I could easily see that happening with a frizzle.

Thank you
I think you may have identified the problem. Some breeds like Orpington or Cochin, especially show quality birds, have such dense feathers the rooster has trouble hitting the spot. It’s generally not a problem with hatchery quality birds. Their feathers generally aren’t that thick. Some breeders typically trim or pluck the vent feathers on hens and the rooster to aid fertility. If you pluck they’ll grow back. If you trim they won’t grow back until the next molt. I could easily see that happening with a frizzle.
Thank you for your reply. I am hoping my thoughts are correct in that this hen is the best of my serama hens.

Back
Top Bottom