1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzle Sexing has me stumped......

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jbirdsong, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Jbirdsong

Jbirdsong New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the sweetest little gray frizzle I purchased recently and have no idea how to tell its sex.....I have looked on other forums, but I cannot figure out what to do because I have not had it since birth. Can anyone tell me what they think this may be?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Rooster, as well as few behind him. At that age boys combs will be pink, girls will remain an orange yellow until sexual maturity at about 5-6 months.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree

4. Jbirdsong

Jbirdsong New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Arkansas
    Thank you so much!

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Boy, he's quite a sight, isn't he? I'm thinking he's what they call a Sizzle (frizzled Cochin/Silkie cross). Cute little guy!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He's got a single comb, so no silkie in him. Just Frizzled Cochin.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  8. Jbirdsong

Jbirdsong New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]Thank you all! I just love him. He is so sweet!! His name is Sheldon:) I thought he might be a boy so we named him that weeks ago, but wanted to be sure!:)

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, I agree it is a boy and I also agree that it looks like a sizzle. Body shape is dead on for silkie, and whenever you have a hybrid you can get the single combs (especially if mom or dad silkie had more of a single comb)

10. PatiHF

PatiHF Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    Tres Pinos, California
    Okay experts, here's an updated picture of my "littles" they are supposed to be pullets, but I'm not very chicken savvy... I just moved them outside and they seem to be adapting well. I have a regular light on them and a heat pad at night. (Low heat pad like they use under dog beds) Sent happy to have them out of my office! Ha![​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by