Frizzle Sizzle Frazzled? PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nurse_turtle, Sep 5, 2011.

1. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    More correctly called a Curly, how do you feel about a frazzled chicken. Should it be culled? Do the feather problems harm or cause pain? How is the chicken's quality of life affected. I "adopted" a white frazzled rooster mix and have recently hatched another frazzled rooster mix. Of note, I no longer purchase eggs from the source of these frazzle birds. What would you do?
    SEE PICS BELOW.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't think I'd ever find myself coming across such, but if I did, I'd probably make it some clothes to keep it warm/dry and give it a separate place to sleep or something. I might sell it to someone with more time on their hands, too. I've known people with Frazzles and that's what they did - Make clothes for it and treat it a little more specially. I don't know if the bird is in pain, but I do know the bird is often colder and more susceptible to injuries, etc.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't think it causes them pain, but I do agree they might get chilled more easily. I don't see any reason to cull though. Do you have pictures?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you want to breed, and dig frizzles, a frazzled rooster will produce 100% frizzled chicks (mated to a smooth feathered bird). At least that's what I've read anyway. I have a frazzle, and he's a rough looking guy, but I love him. And I agree, he's gonna need a sweater to get through winter....

5. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Maybe he would like a crocheted wool rooster sweater! Good thing his Mama can sew and crochet! The other one is a 4 week old bantam size....I may need a smaller gauge yarn for him. He is a good rooster and I adore frizzles of all types and colors.

6. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    What is a frazzled chicken? Do you have a pic?

7. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    OK, gonna go take a pic for y'all. BRB
    I'm back with PICs of frazzles or curlys.

First guy (white) is over a year old as I was told. The second guy is almost 4 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  8. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    BUMP for pics as requested [​IMG]

9. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    These don't look like curlys to me. I don't see the backwards curling feathers that frizzles, and curlys would have. Also, they appear to be silkied.

10. They don't look like Frazzles to me either.
    Looks like silkie feathering and frizzling and molting, maybe, or something damaging feathers (mites/lice/?).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by