Frizzle Sizzle Frazzled? PICS

nurse_turtle

Songster
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Foothills of NC
More correctly called a Curly, how do you feel about a frazzled chicken. Should it be culled? Do the feather problems harm or cause pain? How is the chicken's quality of life affected. I "adopted" a white frazzled rooster mix and have recently hatched another frazzled rooster mix. Of note, I no longer purchase eggs from the source of these frazzle birds. What would you do?
SEE PICS BELOW.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I will check the white one for bugs although I had him in quarantine prior to integration. The youngster is still housed indoors with his hatch mates and cannot possibly have bugs. I was told that the white rooster was picked on terribly at his previous home. The feather shafts/quills are often without the barbed parts that make a feather look like a feather. I must say he looks quite a bit better than he did. As for the little one, I'll wait and see how he progresses. I have no plans to cull these birds, but I do need to know if they are frizzled or frazzled so as to avoid breeding problems. I am quite perplexed regarding these birds. Of note, I have never had any silkie chickens and am not familiar with how their feathers feel or develop. Any input is greatly appreciated.

For those that requested frazzle/curly pictures, here are a couple I used to have.

This guy was a standard buff Cochin. Notice his skinny, brittle feathers. He had lots of bald patches and was pretty ugly in general. He had red, irritated looking skin. I felt pretty bad for him.

This is a bantam Cochin hen, she wasn't nearly as bad as the poor guy above. In fact, I didn't even realize she was a frazzle until I let her hatch a bunch of her eggs. She was living with my Silkies (who weren't laying at all) and went broody. When her chicks started feathering out, I was quite surprised to find that every one of them was frizzled.

Heres a pic of a couple of her chicks. There were like 6 of them, but I guess I don't have a pic of them all together.

One of the chicks I kept from that hatch with some Silkie and Sizzle chicks of her own.

I don't think I'd ever find myself coming across such, but if I did, I'd probably make it some clothes to keep it warm/dry and give it a separate place to sleep or something. I might sell it to someone with more time on their hands, too. I've known people with Frazzles and that's what they did - Make clothes for it and treat it a little more specially. I don't know if the bird is in pain, but I do know the bird is often colder and more susceptible to injuries, etc.

If you want to breed, and dig frizzles, a frazzled rooster will produce 100% frizzled chicks (mated to a smooth feathered bird). At least that's what I've read anyway. I have a frazzle, and he's a rough looking guy, but I love him. And I agree, he's gonna need a sweater to get through winter....

Maybe he would like a crocheted wool rooster sweater! Good thing his Mama can sew and crochet! The other one is a 4 week old bantam size....I may need a smaller gauge yarn for him. He is a good rooster and I adore frizzles of all types and colors.

OK, gonna go take a pic for y'all. BRB
I'm back with PICs of frazzles or curlys.

First guy (white) is over a year old as I was told. The second guy is almost 4 weeks.
93695_img_1202.jpg

93695_img_1200.jpg

93695_img_1205.jpg

93695_img_1204.jpg

93695_img_1206.jpg

93695_img_1207.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom