frizzle/verses Cochin.. pullet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crazyhenlady, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Crazyhenlady

Crazyhenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Everett, Wa
    ( 3 1/2 week old )Ok I thought I was buying Cochin frizzles but apperantly only 1 turned frizzle, it's seems to be developing its feathers slower also...any idea on cockrell verses pullet? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Crazyhenlady

Feb 8, 2012
    Everett, Wa
    [​IMG]

3. gatorshark75

gatorshark75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    wewahichka, florida
    when we had frizzles the hens started to develop feathers faster than the roos but after a few weeks the roos past them by in size and feathers and the roos were a lot prettier

4. Crazyhenlady

Feb 8, 2012
    Everett, Wa
    [​IMG]
    Here's one that isnt frizzle, I believe it's smooth..wondering if maybe thats why its developing faster?..

5. IChickenGirl

IChickenGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    [​IMG]The could have gotten your order incorrect. Here is of my baby roo Cochin Frizzle.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  6. Crazyhenlady

Feb 8, 2012
    Everett, Wa
    How old is your frizzle? Does mine look like a roo?..I got 3 from the feed store, I read that its 50/50 you get a frizzle? I'm hoping the only frizzle I have is a hen :/

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    In my opinion, its still too early to tell gender on any of the chicks posted.

When you're dealing with Frizzles, you will get frizzled and smooth feathers. The smooths are VERY important when breeding Frizzles. If you breed a smooth to a frizzle, you should get about 50% of each in the offspring. If you breed 2 frizzles, all resulting chicks will be frizzles, but the double copy of the frizzle gene causes their feathers to be brittle and break off or they just fall out and leave a mostly bald bird. Sometimes they just don't hatch or their problems can extend way beyond just simple feather issues.

Good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by