Frizzle Wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LCARTER87, Dec 27, 2011.

1. LCARTER87

LCARTER87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I noticed about a week ago one of our frizzled hens started wheezing, on saturday i went out and the poor thing was stretching her neck, and sounded awful. She is also sneezing. I assumed she had a respiratory infection so we went to our local feed store and got her some medicine, she still is wheezing but not as bad, but its still definetly there. Does anyone have any ideas on what we can give her? She has been inside staying warm since saturday, but I dont want her getting too used to it and shocking her when she goes outside. Any feedback would be very helpful!

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
  3. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    If she's not doing the gaping thing, then it could be any respiratory disease. Is there any discharge in her nostrils?
    Look here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 there's also a chart right at the bottom [​IMG] Good luck!

4. LCARTER87

LCARTER87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    when she is wheezing it sounds more like she has some sort of mucus in her mouth, and her sneezing is continuous. But it doesnt sound like anything more than a cold. How else can I see if she has worms? none of my other girls have it, how do they get such a thing?

5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Check for gape worm and when they have ILT they also stretch the neck out.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it's not an environmental issue which can be corrected or eliminated, you are most likely dealing with a respiratory disease, not gapeworm. Possibly coryza if you smell a foul odor about the head area. Otherwise it might be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) if there isnt a foul odor. I doubt it's ILT, there would be blood exudates expelled and slung all over the place.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by