Yorkshire Coop

Kindness costs nothing ..
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK 🇬🇧
My Coop
My Coop

I have polish frizzle cockerel and was checking his crest today as I do with polish and found just above his eye was quite wet and weepy. It looks as though the quite thick feathers he has have pulled his crest down over his eye slightly and doesn't seem to be getting much air. I have clipped the feathers back and given it a good clean (good job he likes to handled) but was hoping someone might have some tips for what cream I could put on just to stop any germs. Or tips for getting some air to it. I don't fancy putting hair bobble in as I don't want him to start scratching and irritating himself more. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could just trim a few feathers, although I suppose you would have to be very careful considering it is close to the eye. The fact that it is above the eye also means that you may want to use an ointment rather than a cream. A triple antibiotic ointment safe for over the eye and people have even discussed using it in the eye with success. In the US we also have a product called Vetericyn that is safe around the eye. I don't know if you have something like that in the UK but the active ingredient is hypochlorous Acid.

Thank you for the advice I have trimmed some feathers back, I think because he is frizzle and his feathers go forward rather than swept back the weight is pulling his crest skin down onto his eye. I am sure I have a horse related product with hypochlorous acid in for infection and wound treatment will be my first job in morning looking for it. Once again thanks.

Something with hypochlorous acid might be preferable since the irritation may be due to a fungal infection, too. You probably would not use anything with benzocaine near the eye, but I thought I would mention that it is dangerous for birds. I hope the skin irritation clears up soon.

Back
Top Bottom