1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

frizzle won't open her eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jarvis, Dec 31, 2013.

1. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    My young frizzle is keeping her eyes closed... there's no puss or crust .. she's eating when you show her where it is and drinking .. poop is normal not runny ..
    She is kept by herself because she smaller than everyone and needs heat
    Not sneezing or wheezing. . ... I'm really at a loss on this any one have any idea on what's going on with her ... ?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do her eyes look normal when you open them? Ammonia smells and dust in the coop can cause eye irritation. Are her eyes watery, or any nasal drainage?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try some people lubricating eyedrops or ointment to see if it helps. Terramycin eye ointment is good if you can find it in the farm store.

4. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    Her eyes look fine maybe slightly watery when u get her to open them.
    I have her inside now so well see if they get better .. I'm cleaning the coop
    Tommorrow .... other than being unsure about moving around she not week at all still flaps her wings when u pick her up ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by