Frizzle?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenniferC, May 27, 2008.

1. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I have 2 Blue Cochins that got sent to me because the hatchery was out of what I ordered (red cochins.)

I'm wondering if the lighter one is a frizzle? Her wing feather seem to curl outwards, but I can't tell yet. They are about 3 weeks old.

Here's some pics. My other blue cochin's feather are all flat and orderly. The lighter one is the one I think is frizzle, and the darker not.

Does frizzle-ness just occur randomly in cochins?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like a silkie /cochin?

3. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    Well, she's certainly smaller than my other blue cochin- more like the week younger brahma I have. How a mix got in there i don't know, since it came from a hatchery. I got it from My Pet Chicken- I don't know who they use though- Murray?

4. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    She also does not have black skin- which silkies have.

5. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    He/she may just be feathering out later. That may be baby fuzz. It does appear to be a frizzle and there may have been a frizzle in the blood line and it just showed up? Did not have to be the parents. Also, some hatcheries get their eggs from local farmers so there is a possibility you got a frizzle from their private stock or a mix up in the eggs. Very cute babies.

Marie

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    My frizzle was very obviously a frizzle at that point. My guess would be no---but Ill deny ever saying that if it turns out to be a frizzle! [​IMG]

7. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    The thing is that the tips of her wings have curled outward since they came in, but the rest of her feathers are not as curly.

Can she be just a tiny bit frizzle?

I couldn't capture the wing curl in the photo as she is very shy.

Are curling feathers always a frizzle thing, or do some chickens just have curls?

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Aww I want a fizzle! They are beautiful even is she ends up NOT being a fizzle! [​IMG]

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looks like a pure, smooth feathered splash cochin.

10. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Cant be a little bit frizzled. It is very hard to tell from your picture, but if all of the feathers are not curling back toward her head in a "c" pattern, it is not a frizzle.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by