? = frizzle

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ghostbelly, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    i had a frizzle mate with a straight feathered rooster and their chicks had straight feathers if i mate them with a frizzle rooster is their more a chance that their chicks will be frizzles?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    No, it will be equal chances as the first mix. Frizzle is a dominant gene. If it's present in the bird, you see it. If it's not, you don't. So even if a straight feather bird is the offspring of a frizzle, you start from square one, and still have 50% chance on the offspring. The only way of guarenteeing 100% frizzle is to cross two frizzles, but that will result in brittle, damaged, and undesirable feathers (think of it as curlxcurl = way too much curl).

3. Ghostbelly

Nov 20, 2012
    that's really confusing :th

4. greeneacre

greeneacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Garner, nc
    Breeding Frizzle to Frizzle is not the breeding option IMO, the way I understand it is that a chick receiving two copies of the gene is a frazzle which have stunted, brittle feathers that fall out leaving you with a naked bird. Search frazzle. I would not want to the the person who sells a chick to an unsuspecting buyer that may happen to . The most responsible way of getting a frizzle is to breed smooth to frizzled. Maybe next time the roll of the dice will bring you all frizzle.

5. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Have you taken any entry level biology classes where they discussed genetics? If not, it may be helpful to you to do a quick google search on recessive and dominant genes. Understanding how those two gene types work will really enhance your understanding of how frizzle genetics work.

Edited to add: I agree, Greenacre, those birds always look miserable and aweful. Especially when the damaged feathers all fall out.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    frizzle x frizzle = frazzle (brittle feathers)
    frizzle x smooth = 50% frizzle and 50% smooth
    smooth x smooth from frizzle parent = 100% smooth

1 person likes this.
  7. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Thank you for stating it more clearly than I could Hdowden [​IMG].

Smooth is just smooth. There's no room for halvsies, or partials, or percentages. It's just smooth.

8. Ghostbelly

Nov 20, 2012
    ok now i understand :)

9. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    So I think I have a frazzle on my hands (a frazzle naked neck, actually!). He will be crossed with ALL smooth girls. What will be the result? Will his babies have healthier plumage than him?

10. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    If he's a true frazzle, then every baby should be frizzle (which would be healthier plumage)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by