Frizzled after molt?

diamondsilkies

Songster
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Arizona
(Not sure if this is in the right forum. If not, please let me know.)
Ok, so about a year ago, I got two seramas from a local show. They were from the same hatch, same parents, all that. Both were smooth feathered. Fast forward to this fall. One of them (who I call Bean) went through a huge molt. Feathers everywhere, bare patches for weeks, etc. Her sister (Pipsqueak) when through a smaller molt, and grew in some nice feathers very quickly. After almost a month of this, Bean started to grow in all her new feathers. However, many of them (not all) had a sort of frizzled look to them? I'll post some pictures in a minute. Has anyone ever had this happen? She has showed no sign of frizzled feathers in the past. I have no idea why this might have happened. Any ideas?

Alright, here are some photos from this weekend. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of her molt, didn't think I would need them.

View attachment 1590123 View attachment 1590124 View attachment 1590125
Sure does look frizzle now. :confused: I haven't seen that before. Definitely interesting. Another option is she's still growing out her feathers and they are currently messy. I would switch off a layer during the molt. In my experiences bantams should be fed a non medicated grower as they don't need all that extra calcium in a layer because they don't lay a lot of eggs. Their calcium needs can be met with a separate bowl of oyster shells. The extra protein in the grower will help with growing new feathers too.

Okay, thank you! I have some chicks on grower feed right now, so I'll switch the bantams over as well. I might also mix in a little bit with the layer pellets for the bigger girls. I'll give it some time to see if her feathers calm down.

Alright, here are some photos from this weekend. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of her molt, didn't think I would need them.

1.jpg
IMG_4034.JPG
IMG_4038.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here she is the day I got her.
I checked for any external parasites as well, thinking it might be a weird reaction to lice or something, but they're all good. I also gave the coop a precautionary treatment a couple months ago.

They have a constant supply of layer pellets, grit, and calcium (in separate containers). Meal worms and vegetable scraps are given as treats, and I allow them to free range as much as possible (lots of predators in our area, so I have to be home). They also get plenty of cockroaches and grubs from our compost. I haven't noticed any feather issues in any of the others.

Interesting. Perhaps you have a pop up of the original frizzle gene.
After all, the mutation had to have come from somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom