frizzled bantam cochin Male or Female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kari_dawn, Feb 7, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I got this bird from the assorted banti bin at the feed store back in October. Lucked out, and got an apparent frizzle. Yay! Now, four-ish months later, is Karma a Male or Female? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Im kinda thinkin roo...that comb and those wattles seem pretty pink for four months [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    no guesses?

3. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I was thinking you have a pullet. For four months, her comb is fairly small. Then again, I have been wrong before.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  4. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Hmmm, tough call. Comb looks small but, it also looks red. I guess I would just be patient and wait and see if it starts trying to cock a doodle do or if it lays an egg. Pretty bird.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks just like my black hen, so I'm going pullet because the neck feathers and tail feathers are shorter like my hen not long like my roo

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    thanks for the replys guys...all of the normal rooster vs hen markers (hackle and saddle feathers) are very hard to see...would a bird even have hackle/saddle feathers by four months?

I really want this one to be a hen, and as far as I know, MPC is the only one that sexes banties, so chances are, the assorted feedstore banties were probably straight run...man that would be awesome if I ended up with a frizzle (not just a carrier) AND it was a girl [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  7. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I have also noticed that in cochins the male's neck is usually longer when they are in alert position.

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Looks like a little pullet to me and a pretty one, too :)

9. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Pullet! Comb is still small and pink. I think if it were a roo, she would have more comb growth- and be more in the gawky cockeral stage- comb sprouting, tall stance, etc.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pullet...a cockerel would have a bigger comb and largger wattles along with being much more red in the face

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by