1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzled cochins.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickens112, Dec 27, 2008.

1. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    I have two frizzled cochins a rooster and a hen. I was wondering if all of yall could share your pictures of your frizzles so i could compare. Thanks Also I wish i could post mine but I dont have the right files to work with the website. thanks again

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    This is the only pic I have of mine. You do know not to breed 2 frizzled birds together, right?

[​IMG]

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    here is a pic of my girl when she was little, don't have any recent pics right now [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and kelly is right, you shouldn't breed a frizzle x frizzle, you will end up with a bird that might have brittle feathers and end up bald [​IMG]

4. chickens112

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    What happens when you breed two frizzles together? Just wondering

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    you shouldn't breed a frizzle x frizzle, you will end up with a bird that might have brittle feathers and end up bald [​IMG]

6. Hi! This is my favorite Frizz Cochin hen, Chaps:
    [​IMG]

Yes, please don't breed Frizz x Frizz.
    The chicks that get a double dose of the F gene can be pathetic. I'd have too look up old pics to show you how bad they can look (hatchery chicks I got in '05) --- but in addition to looking bad, they have internal issues (from an increased metabolism?).

[​IMG]
    Lisa

7. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Beautiful! fingers crossed that I got some of her eggs:)

8. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Chaps is a real beauty. Good to know about the frizz X frizz stuff. I have eggs in the bator now, guess I won't keep a roo.

But if they have stright feathers is that ok or you don't want to breed that either?

9. chickens112

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    I was also wondering if it is still possible to get a straight feathered cochin out of a frizz roo and hen. If so could you breed it to a frizzle again?

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Do NOT breed a frizzled roo to a frizzled hen! You will get 25% chicks that have feathering problems, are bald, have metaolic problems, and can die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by