Frizzled Colored Egg Layer Project

Chickie_Momma_91

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
I’m hoping to start a project line in about a year, so I’m doing all the research I can now in preparation. I don’t want to go in blind. My end goal is a frizzled colored egg layer (blue or green, but preferably blue) that’s bigger than bantie but tops out at 5lbs max (hoping for smaller so easier to have in a backyard flock, but bigger than bantie so eggs are decent size). I would prefer a frizzle Cochin hen so I’ve got better chances of not having to brood babies, and I’ve got 3 ladies already. Would it best to use a frizzle bantam Cochin and a blue egg layer breed roo to start with? Or should I try a different combo first, like a full size Cochin and bantam roo? I know I can’t do frizzle to frizzle, but what about frizzle to a smooth who could carry the gene? (Or am I stupid and it’s either they have it or don’t, because I’ve read it’s dominant but also read frizzle is recessive).

Attachments

• DBA7A4D9-40A5-446D-A03A-772DF50943C0.jpeg
    DBA7A4D9-40A5-446D-A03A-772DF50943C0.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 17
  • D21AE6B1-80C7-4415-919D-807750BABD03.jpeg
    D21AE6B1-80C7-4415-919D-807750BABD03.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 34688E87-53A0-4E79-9473-D23FA727C18E.jpeg
    34688E87-53A0-4E79-9473-D23FA727C18E.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 4
Frizzling is dominant. Definitely don’t breed frizzle to frizzle. You’d want to get a purebred blue egg laying rooster to confirm that he actually has the blue egg shell genes.
So I know to not breed frizzle to frizzle. To confirm, if they have the frizzle gene they will have frizzle feathers?

So I know to not breed frizzle to frizzle. To confirm, if they have the frizzle gene they will have frizzle feathers?
Dominant means if they have one gene they show it, so if it looks frizzle then it has at least one frizzle gene, if it is smooth then it has no frizzle genes. If you breed frizzle to smooth each chick has a 50% chance of being either frizzle or smooth.

Frizzle is actually a incomplete dominant gene which means if you have 2 frizzle genes it does something different then if you had 1

Heres a punnet square it might help you. F = frizzle gene f= non-frizzle. gene, top row is frizzle(Ff), left is non frizzle (ff)
F f
f Ff ff
f Ff ff

Blue egg genes are dominant.....frizzle is dominant....project should be fairly easy to stabilize after a few generations. Good luck with your project.
I'd prefer working with recessive genes.
Recessive is easier to stabilize because when it shows you know you have it.
Dominate genes may show quicker but you have to test breed to know you have both copies.
With any colored egg projects I'd focus on the blue egg genes. That's always the biggest challenge and it's time consuming since you have to test breed then wait till those offspring lay.

Back
Top Bottom