Frizzled is it a breed? or a feather type? both?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smoothmule, Oct 18, 2011.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Silkies are a breed but there are also "silked" varieties or types in other breeds, like the Serama. I was looking through the breeds section here and noted a "Frizzle"( https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart ) listed as a breed, the size is listed as standard and other attributes etc. I had not heard of a breed that was called the Frizzle. I have a "frizzled' Serama, I've seen lots of other breeds that have added "frizzled" feather type to their breed.

My question is simply is the Frizzle a breed? And if it is, what is the history of the breed? If there is no such "breed" then I think it might need to be removed from the breeds list because it could be very misleading. I am often hearing people say, I want a Frizzle Chicken. They look confused when I ask them what breed of frizzled chicken they are looking for.

Cathy

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Cathy, I also thought it was a type of feathering, and not a breed. I'll be watching this thread. [​IMG]

I've got frizzled cochins, and also a frizzled polish roo, and I just love them.....I'm a big fan of the frizzle effect. I was so excited and happy when I hatched out my frizzled polish rooster, that I bought him two little frizzle bantam cochin girlfriends, only to find out you should never breed frizzle to frizzle, or you get the FRAZZLE......and that's bad.....[​IMG]

Oh, just when I think I'm catching on! [​IMG]

Glad you asked this!
    Sharon

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:frizzle isnt a breed it feather gene

4. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    The member who posted is claims it as a breed in the UK. I had also never heard of the homozygous form called a Frazzle either. They are called Curly's in the Serama's when you breed Frizzle to Frizzle. I should have looked further since I have found information about them as a breed, just not in the US.
    Here is an interesting bit of information for those of you, like myself, who thought they were a feather type and not a breed. I love the photo's of these Frizzles.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7958906

The double curled hen in the photo there doesn't look so brittle feathered. She looks extremely soft but I would imagine they would need some special care for weather protection and to protect them fro damaging the feathers.

So, I guess I've answered my own question [​IMG]

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:see that the problem you shouldnt even in serma

6. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Oh my goodness! I looked at the link, and those curly chickens looked like they had poodle hair! Remarkable! I wish they had this breed in the USA! FASCINATING!

7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Oh my goodness! I looked at the link, and those curly chickens looked like they had poodle hair! Remarkable! I wish they had this breed in the USA! FASCINATING!

i think igoing try breeding frizzle to frizzle see i get some polish with this

8. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio

i think igoing try breeding frizzle to frizzle see i get some polish with this

I might just allow my little cochins to hatch their eggs and see what happens too. (I've got a Polish bantam frizzle roo, and then the two little Cochin bantam frizzle hens) I just love the frizzles...But I am afraid of getting frazzles though.......

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    As Smoothmule stated, frizzle is a breed in other countries. Note that it is basically a frizzled cochin. In the US, frizzle feathering is recognized for ALL breeds.

Frazzle is a term I have never seen except on BYC. I have always heard and seen the term "curly" used to denote a bird who is homozygous for the frizzle gene.

10. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:BYC is where I heard the term Frazzle....And they said it was not good to breed to frizzles together, do you know if that's true? (I did think, when I looked at the link, that the Frizzles shown looked like Cochins to me.)

Thanks,
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by