Frizzled polish's molt not going well, any ideas anyone. (PIC ADDED)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teresa-78, Aug 15, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    My husband brought two 14 week old polish chickens yesterday, 1 is a smooth and doing great, and 1 is a frizzled, who is lovely but seems to not be molting properly, she has sheaths longer than I have ever seen, and her skin is red, looks sore, am I right in thinking of helping, by carefully prizing the sheafs off that should not be there, and then using an antiseptic cream on the red skin... I have checked for mites and non are present? any advice would be appreciated, also I think it may be a vitamin or mineral problem due to them not having enough fresh food and bugs?? has anyone had this problem before??? I feel so sorry for the little girl [​IMG]

I have added a pic, im so worried, she is eating and drinking fine... im hoping some TLC is all that is needed...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    anybody [​IMG]

3. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Has anyone got any ideas what the problem is [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Thanks surehatch, just wish I knew what the problem was... fingers crossed someone will know [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I believe those are feather shafts, not sheaths, so forcing them off will make no difference, other than possibly being annoying or painful to her and frustrating to you. I do not see evidence of molting, although it is possible that it does not show in the photo. Not all mites and lice are visible to the naked eye; many are microscopic. If she displays red, irritated skin, a bath with flea/tick shampoo will likely help. A diet with plenty of good oils will help as well, espcially if she is molting.

6. mpwjaa06

mpwjaa06 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Long County
    Have you tried buying dog food and soaking it. Until light and fluffy. Also sunflower seeds help too. My vet told me to do that and I do agree with the lice and mites not easy to see. I was told to get a spray from the local feed store. I hope this helps some. Good luck Best wishes

7. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Thanks everyone, I am going to get some mite spray and spray all the chickens before they get put in their new coop, which is being delivered friday, she seems happy and is feeding well, which is a good sign, I will try the dog food as I have that in the house, wil go get some sunflower seeds tomorrow, and give them to her also, there is no evidence of any mites, as I regulary spray the coops, but mybe like you say I cannot see them and they were brought with her from the man I got her from, so all chickens will be getting the same treatment just in case.... thanks everyone for all your information it is a real help.

8. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Give us a close up of those wings so we can see if they are shafts or sheaths.

9. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    So sorry to hear. She is going to be beautiful, though!

10. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am no expert, but I've read about a double frizzled gene that make the birds feathers look scraggly,

I'm not sure that's what's going on, but hopefully someone can pipe in and let us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by