1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzled sebrights?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Sep 27, 2013.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Now mind you this iz a idea... But can it be done? I know with the Hen fethering abouf 25% of normal sebrights die in the shells,so what would the frizzle gene do? and if it can be even done what would you use to start minus the sebright?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I have never heard that there was a fatal genetic condition connected to hen feathering. As to Frizzling any breed/variety can be made into a Frizzled form. All it takes is introducing the gene & many generations of selective breeding to get back to something resembling a Sebright.

3. miss heny

I have read it in one of my chicken books (gotta find it) what type of frizzle would you suggest? I was truthfully thinking serama.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Don't see why a Serama wouldn't work.
    Are you sure you didn't read about the short-legged gene [Creeper] in Japanese Bantams?

5. miss heny

I've read the short legged genes in the Japanese bantams... o gotta find tie book... but not tonight XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by