Frizzled Silkie Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kissofcrimson, Jan 19, 2016.

1. kissofcrimson

kissofcrimson Out Of The Brooder

I know this may sound like a stupid question but I'm new to the breed. I was wondering if sexing Frizzled Silkies is the same as sexing the smooth ones. I have 2 couple week old silkie babies and one is a frizzle. I know it'll be a few weeks before I can determine but didn't know if being a frizzle makes it harder to sex or not.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Sexing Frizzled Silkies is the same as sexing Silkies. Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell the gender in a couple weeks--more like months. Silkies are slow to mature so it is very hard to tell the gender at an early age.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree totally with Bantam fan 4life

4. kissofcrimson

kissofcrimson Out Of The Brooder

Okay thanks. From everything I've been reading they are more complicated then the chickens I'm used to. its always the cute ones that give you more trouble lol

5. CandJFarm

CandJFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    florida
    How do u make a frizzled silkie....I just hatched eggs from a frizzle roo and a partrige silkie hen....I hatcked 7 I got the frizzle partrige color but all look like normal feathers none are silkied the have beards and starting to get tophats but not silkied.....also what about making silkied seramas. I have seramas I wanna make frizzled and silkied anyone no how to do it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by