Frizzled What?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Obsessive, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    If Im not mistaken, frizzled is a dominant trait?

I want to expiriment with looks on a Polish. Would it be possible to have a frizzle Pole?
    If so, what would be the best options for breeding this in?
    We are ordering chicks and I want to get some breeding stock, so what would I need?

And out of curiousity, is it possible to have a silkie-Polish? silkieness is recessive right? [​IMG]

all this stuff is hard to learn w/o the hands on... [​IMG]

2. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have frizzled polish in WC black and WC cuckoo. Try to find a frizzled roo to mate with smooth feathered Polish hens and usually get about 50% frizzled from the matings. I would not recommend mating to frizzles together, you will get some curly (double frizzle gene).
    Yes, silkie feathering is recessive. I have not seen any silkied polish. I have seen silkied Japanese and Seramas. I have silkied cochins. I had a hen to hatch out silkied, that is how I got mine started. I have them in black and barred. I have some silkied cochin eggs on auction on eggbid.
    http://www.eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1258757672

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Frizzling is recessive [​IMG]

Silkie x frizzle is called a "Sizzle"

Polish are often crossed with silkie around here- makes an interesting cross.

I have two blue pullets who are silkie x Belgian D'Anvers crosses that are neat. I do have a barred rock frizzle daughter out of a black cochin frizzle hen that is black mottled and looks like a cochin frizzle.

4. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    The Frizzling gene is incomplete dominant autosomal gene - F It is not recessive, if it were recessive you would NOT get any frizzled birds from the first mating. [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Frizzle is common in polish.

Agreed it is incompletely dominant.

I have a silkied polish--yes, it is an F2 and has silkie feathering; more polish type than silkie. Very cute splash bird.

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Well, I took a picture of my frizzled Polish today but the cord from the camera to the computer has problems and it wouldn't load. Here is an old picture though. Here is one of the frizzles when younger anyway. I would love to have a silkied Polish, that would be great.
    [​IMG]

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by