Frizzledhen and Shellyb1969

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CATRAY44, Feb 9, 2009.

1. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Here are a couple of pictures of the RIR from Frizzledhen. Her RIRs are beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We named her, "Ruby"...

Her tail feather color always reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara's green curtain dress...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    well, of course her name should be Ruby! look at her! she's gorgeous!

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Beautiful, just beautiful! [​IMG]

Those are the prettiest colored RIRs I've ever seen. Most of the ones I've seen aren't nearly as dark colored as those. Can't wait to get mine from her! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    AWWWW yes, that's much better. I am so glad you are happy with her. How is she doing as far as laying?

5. CATRAY44

I have had not eggs yet, but I think RIR's mature slower, I have heard. Her comb is getting nice and red this week, so, maybe soon! Most of my layers quit when we had that -30 below weather. They are all happy and playing in the nests this week.
    C.

6. CATRAY44

I didn't add any light or heat, other than lots of straw bales piled up, tarps for wind break, etc. They all did great!
    C.

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    catray, I have only 4 of my 8 hens laying and they are hit and miss. I also do not provide light. My birds have weathered the winter just fine too. They don't like the snow but will go out to scratch around for treats.
    Ruby looks like a very happy girl.

8. CATRAY44

I have decided to just be as natural with their environment as I can... for me that works best and then I don't have to ever worry about them not being acclimated to bad weather, if we loose power, etc. I was surprised at how often they came out, even in the really cold weather. I am so thankful that you you let me buy the three pullets from you- I enjoy them a lot!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  9. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow! I always thought of RIRs as "plain" clucks but she is absolutely gorgeous - Lucky you!!

10. CATRAY44

The pictures do not do her justice... Her color is a very rich mahogany and the tail feathers are a beautiful green. She is a very calm and quiet bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by