Frizzles.... A rather confusing gene.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Stray, May 30, 2010.

1. Stray

Stray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    OKC
    Alright, I've read on a few boards that talk about frizzles.
    Now, I'm hatching out a couple dozen silkies, which I was told was good for getting Frizzles, and I'm planning on, by next summer, to pair up a silkie roo and one of my hens, possibly my black crested white polish.
    Would that be an alright pairing? Or should I use a different hen?
    I have:
    Araucanas
    Polish
    Policanas (PolishxAmericanas)
    and Cochins
    But since I already have frizzle cochins I'm not really looking, yet, to breed for those.

2. Hi! Any smooth feathered (not frizzled) bird bred with a frizzle feathered bird will give you 50% smooth feathered and 50% frizzle feathered.
    You won't get frizzle feathering unless one of the parents is frizzle feathered.
    Good luck with your crosses!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Stray

Mar 22, 2009
    OKC
    Quote:What I'm trying to learn is: will you get a Frizzle out of a Silkie and a Straight feathered pairing?

4. Hi! No, you won't get frizzle feathering unless one of the parents is frizzle feathered.
    Silkie feathered crossed with straight (regular feathered / not-silkie feathered) will give you regular feathered offspring --- no silkie feathering or frizzle feathering.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    No, the frizzle gene and the silkie gene are two different things. I would put the silkie with the frizzle cochin hens then you would get sizzles (silkie x fizzle) 50% of these will have the flat regular feathers that are curled. they will most likely have a frizzled crest. I don't have any pics to show you but trust me they are freaking adorable. this is my frizzle turken
    [​IMG]

6. Stray

Mar 22, 2009
    OKC
    So, how does a 1st generation Frizz come to be?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:One or both of the parents is frizzled.

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    well..... you can actually get frizzle out of two straight feathered birds IF... and it's a bigggg IF.. your 2 straight feathered birds happens to be homozygouz for frizzle modifier mf and hetero for F (frizzle).... I wouldn't put money on it....

if you're trying to breed a frizzled silkie (frizkie), you need to breed your frizzled cochin to your silkie, keep one sex with frizzled feathering and mate it back to a silkie next season, from then it's all about selection.

[​IMG]

9. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    since a picture is worth a thousand words ...
    [​IMG]
    that's mom (buff orp) and dad (frizzled cochin) and baby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by