1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzles

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zoomomma, Oct 27, 2010.

1. zoomomma

zoomomma New Egg

Oct 26, 2010
    Think I have the right area to post a ? now(i'm a new egg)!
    Hoping to find someone who knows how well frizzle chicks( or adults for that mater) can tolerate cold weather. It dosen't seem like those turned up feathers would provide the greatest insulation.

2. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    mine have made out just fine...in the winter...as long as they have a nice dry nesting area they'll be fine. I like use hay to insulate their sleeping areas for the winter to keep them nice and cozy. You could always add in a couple regular sized regular feathered chickens to add to the body heat factor if you were concerned. I live in NJ so I guess it could vary depending on where you live. I have noticed that with frizzled feathered birds the water doesn't seem run right off of their feathers like the smooth feathered birds so I guess that could make them higher risk for getting cold or getting sick. I'm having my Hubby "roof" my runs for the winter this year...last year I tarped the runs so they would have a nice place to run around and still have some protection from the weather. Tarps were a real pain in the HINE so this year were going to be prepared![​IMG] Hope this was helpful![​IMG]

3. zoomomma

zoomomma New Egg

Oct 26, 2010
    Thanks! I do have them with a couple of cinnamon queens to snuggle with. We are expecting our first night of low 30's in Illinois tonight.I was hoping "Rachel & Monica" weren't going to have to live indoors for the winter!(lol)
    I see that you have sizzles- I've never heard of those before - i'm going to look those up & see what they look like. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by