1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frizzles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Misfit Farm, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Misfit Farm

Misfit Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Do Frizzles come in standard sizes? I currently have a flock of 10 hens (Buff Orps, Black Australorps and EE's) and a Brahma cross roo. I would love to add a Frizzle or two to the flock but would worry about adding a bantam to the flock of bigger birds. Also, With my coop and run size I can really only have 4 - 5 more birds so I don't want to order from one of the hatcheries. Ideally I would like to wait until one of my hens goes broody and then get some eggs from someone to stick under her. Does anyone out there breed frizzles?

Jen

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I've seen standard size frizzle Polish, but I wouldn't know where to get them. Maybe watch on eggbid for some?

3. cresty

cresty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Where are you located? I've found some breeders of frizzles.

Cresty

4. Misfit Farm

Misfit Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2007
    Reno, NV
    I am in Reno NV.

5. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Misfit, frizzles come in all breeds as frizzle isnt a breed itself. I personally have only owned 3 Standard Frizzles and found them at random without looking at auctions, swaps, sales, and shows. Frizzle Rock and Polish are the most popular Standard Frizzle breeds but they do come in any breed possible. The ones I owned were Standard Cochins and one Orpington and that was almost 8 years ago and have yet to find any since then. If I can help you feel free to ask me any question.

~Casey

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have 2 hens, and a roo...Frizzle...I am hopeing they will hatch out this year...crossing fingers....wish me luck. here is my male....Biggun

[​IMG]

and one of his girls....

[​IMG]

I just love my babies! Hope you can find some. They are so sweet little birds....

7. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    justusnak, what a beautiful roo! [​IMG]

8. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Quote:Are all your chickens Frizzles, or do you have regulars too? I have heard to never breed a Frizzle to a Frizzle, because you will get what is called curlies, where the feathers are over curled and the skin is too dry. I have Frizzles, and I'm going to keep all Frizzle hens, and have a regular feathered rooster.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmm....this is my first year with Frizzles....im not sure what they will be if and when they breed. They are seperate from my other....larger chickens. I was afraid the bigger ones would hurt them...I do hope they set....and I get more of this beautifull bird...they are my babies![​IMG]

10. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    BigWRanch is right, your arent suppost to breed frizzles together. You can but its not recommended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by