Frizzly Wizzlys who wants to talk FRIZZLES?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ~goingcluckcrazy~, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ~goingcluckcrazy~

~goingcluckcrazy~ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    I couldn't find a informative post on frizzles!
    So any one with Frizzles Please post pics!!!
    And

COLOURS! [​IMG]

What interesting colours have you made and how have you done it?

2. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't have any frizzles. Are they a breed? I've read that there is a recessive gene to reduce the frizzling so I'm assuming a breed can have all double frizzles if they have that as well [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last one may require a bit of an explanation. This is Annie_Belle the house rooster trying on her first diaper. It was a bit large so I adjusted the elastic length, but in the mean time, after I rocked it gently back and forth, she zonked out on me.
    [​IMG]

4. ~goingcluckcrazy~

Oct 12, 2011
    Well for a start here is my Baby. He has the nicest nature in a rooster ever! And my first attempt for pics!
    Buff Pekin Frizzle I have some Rhode Island Red Bantams and a Blue pekin with him, thinking of finding a cukoo for him to and something laced can't wait to see what hatches! [​IMG]
    He is in a different house now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ~goingcluckcrazy~

Oct 12, 2011
    Nure_Turtle pretty girl! Is she a sizzle?

6. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
  7. ~goingcluckcrazy~

Oct 12, 2011
    Quote:When two show frizzles are mated 25% will be smooth feathered 50% frizzled and 25% will be extremely frizzled

Extremely frizzled birds arethe birds which have recieved a double dose of the frizzled gene making their feathers extremely narrow and curled. Making them sometimes brittle

Smooth Feathered frizzles while having no curl are inportant part to a breeding pen, when feather quality deterioates cross a smooth feathered back in, it will help with the feather quality [​IMG]

Here is a really good chart

FF Ff ff

FF 100% FF 50% FF 50% Ff 100% Ff

Ff 50% FF 50%Ff 25% FF 50% Ff 25% ff 50% Ff 50% ff

ff 100% Ff 50% Ff 50% ff 100% ff

Key -
    FF- Extremely Frizzle
    Ff - Frizzle
    ff - Smooth Feathered

8. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    When two show frizzles are mated 25% will be smooth feathered 50% frizzled and 25% will be extremely frizzled.

That is not true. I have bred and raised Cochin Bantam Frizzles for several years and have never had a frazzled or "curlie" produced from breeding a smooth feathered frizzle to a frizzled bird. Two dominant frizzling genes have to occure before a "curlie" or frazzled bird is produced. If there is a smooth bird in the breeding there wont be any birds like this.

~Casey​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by