Frizzy breading?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rebelcowboysnb, Jan 1, 2009.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If I were to hypothetically [​IMG] wont a line of frizzy standard barred cochins what color frizzy would you use. What I mean is what color would be the easiest to bread out an have them breed true barred. And how many generations would ya think it would take?

Guess I should ask if any one as any to save me the trouble?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    The trait is called frizzled & as it's common in the cochin world, I'm sure it wont be hard to find a frizzle barred cochin. Don't forget never to breed frizzle to frizzle as the chicks are totally messed up very often.

3. rebelcowboysnb

I have the frizzy/frizzle trait down its the color thing I dont know a lot about. Is barring dominant or ressive(spelling?)? An how does it react with other colors?

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    For that answer, go into the search on here & look for normal cochin genetics answers as they will apply to your frizzles. The answer will be in here I'm sure.
    Or post a question in the Breeds, Genetics & Showing asking "Is cochin barring dominant or recessive and how does it react with other colors?"

5. Hi!
    I'm getting some frizzled barred and blue barred chicks from my Frizzle pen.
    The Cochin roo is lemon blue with the barring gene.

[​IMG]
    and the hens are frizzled blues and blacks.

The barring should work the same with as with any other barring.
    If you get a barred Cochin roo and breed it with a frizzled black or blue Cochin hen, the chicks should all be barred, half blue and half black, and half frizzled and half smooth.

If you breed a solid roo with a barred hen, the male chicks will be barred and the female chicks will be solid.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. rebelcowboysnb

I should be able to find a black or blue frizzled hen. There popular.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by