Frog Legs for dinner :0(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Feb 26, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Just had my ducks out free ranging, and my smallest duck caught herself a frog and swallowed it whole! I don't get grossed out by them eating slugs and such, but I was walking behind her as she ran from her other 5 buddies (she didn't want to share) saying, "No, no, no not the frog, don't eat the frog!" She didn't listen. I knew they ate frog eggs out of our pond, but didn't think they could swallow a frog!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I watched one of my muscovie girls run down a frog once and eat it whole, she also ate a copper head snake,[young one]

3. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

I always get grossed out thinking about animals swallowing other animals whole. All I can imagine is the feeling of a live animal squirming around in my throat and belly, even if it's only for a second or two before it dies. gives me the heebie-jeebies. [​IMG]

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I always worry about the ducks eating the killdeer chicks because I love killdeer chicks so much, but I also love ducks, too. So far, the ducks seem to ignore the little chicks which are hard to see. I wonder if maybe the ducks can't see them when they're running around the rocks. Even falcons and seagulls seem not to see the killdeer chicks as long as they stay where they blend in.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know just the thought. [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe so dd it always amazes me as to how animals adapt to their surroundings and blend right in.

7. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    You gotta love free ranging...

8. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Apparently, it wasn't enough food. She devoured the cabbage and feed I gave them later as well! Guess she's just one really hungry duck! Still can't belie how large the frog was! And they have trouble eating the cabbage unless I chop it up for them? Go figure.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is she laying? I have 1 of my scovie hens that acts like she can't get enough to eat. She is constantly on the go looking and when I go out she comes up to me expecting something. she has plenty of reg. feed but acts like a pregnant woman. lol I have already given them a big bowl of peas and oatmeal and it's too early for their mealworms.

10. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yes, Miss Lydia, she is laying. No matter how much feed and treats I give them these days they seem to be bottomless pits! Within last couple of weeks, been giving them double the feed and treats. But their run is pretty much picked clean for foraging and they aren't getting out as often to free range as they do in summer and when I am not working odd hours.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by