Frog my coop worried!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Loosey, May 24, 2016.

1. Loosey

Loosey Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    I found a frog just outside the run yesterday I removed it and this morning I found another (or maybe the same one that came back) in the run. I used my old garden to house the coop and run, it is filled with top soil. I found the frog buried in the soil. anyone know why I would have a frog there? We have not had frogs before but the garden was new last year. is it harmful to my girls? I'm worried any help or advise welcome.

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Are you sure it isn't a toad? The toads around here are small, brown with a ,rough texture. We find them all the time in our garden and landscaping. We also have bull frogs in our pond, they're large with a smoother texture. I don't think you need to worry about either harming your chickens, in fact, the chickens will probably chase it.

3. mixedflocker

mixedflocker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2016
    Toads hibernate underground. Even though they sort of creep me out, I have come to terms with how much they love garden soil and I will frequently find them living there. The chickens will probably try to eat it if they can catch it.

4. Loosey

Loosey Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    Thank you Both so much, I feel better knowing they won't do harm. it probably is a toad, pretty large though and lazy I kept pushing it to move and it would not go. they are indeed pretty ugly but then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder, LOL as long as they don't harm my girls I will not bother them.

have a great day!!

5. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    you don't live in Florida, do you?

6. Loosey

Loosey Just Hatched

May 21, 2016
    Nope Northwest NJ. why do you ask? did I give it away in something I said [​IMG]

7. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
  8. pinebarrens

pinebarrens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    south NJ
    I live in south NJ, saw my chickens enthusiastically catch and eat a garden toad two days ago. Nobody here seems any the worse for it, except maybe me, it was not the most appetizing sight. Oh well, free protein I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by