Frogs and Toads

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GreenEggsHam, Aug 19, 2009.

1. GreenEggsHam

GreenEggsHam In the Brooder

Its been raining a lot in South East Florida and there are lots of frogs and toads this year. A few of my more adventurous chickens have recently started catching and eating any frogs or toads they come across. The largest one I have seen eaten so far was about a tennis ball size frog.

Anyone else have chickens that like to catch and eat frogs? How big is the largest anyone has seen eaten? Any potential hazards (besides choking on a giant one...)

In Florida we have Cane Toads which are poisonous, luckily they are huge and only come out at night when my birds are in their coop.

2. lilmouthy

lilmouthy In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    My chickens LOVE toads! They are only 14 weeks old. The first time one ate one was when they were about 8 weeks old or so. Biggest toad I had ever seen,and one of the hens snatched it up lifted it's beak up into the air and swallowed that bugger whole. I thought for sure she was going to choke to death,but she didn't. Anytime they see toads,they gobble them up.

You know what...chickens are smarter than I ever gave them credit for. In the evenings,I'll go around and lift up buckets,flower pots...and the chickens follow me every where. They know when I left something up,they are fixing to get a treat. They will snatch all the crickets,bugs and spiders that are hiding. Well,the other day,I lifted up a bucket that was upside down,as soon as I did the chickens hurried up and stuck their heads right there to get any bugs that was fixing to come out. The only thing under there was a nice size Black Widow. The chickens cocked their heads sideways looking at it,then walked away. I was in shock. They LOVE spiders,but they,some how,knew not to eat that one.

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Mine like the tree frogs with the cream filling!!!!

They eat EVERYTHING that gets into the coop!
    CAl
    Jax FL

Schakeitup likes this.
  4. NatalieB

NatalieB Songster

Jun 27, 2009
    Ashby, MA
    [​IMG]
    OMG EWWWWWWWW!!!! I have tons of frogs too, but have never seen them be eaten!

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Gonzo, Our white orp roo caught himself a frog half his size once. He had a field day with it!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine beat the frogs to death first. That's the gross part. [​IMG]

7. briana1975

briana1975 Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Ok, maybe I am sick cause I thought that was the funny part.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ok, maybe I am sick cause I thought that was the funny part.

Okay, maybe it's gross and funny at the same time? [​IMG] Gotta feel kinda bad for the frog though.
    Worse thing I ever saw them try to eat was a box turtle. Poor thing! I removed him from their territory, but he must have had one heck of a headache from all those pecks to his shell. [​IMG]

tonim109 likes this.
  9. tonim109

tonim109 In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2018
    port saint lucie,fl 34953
    Ive been afraid as a new chicken mom to let my chicks go out because of those ugly frogs. I have to start trying to let them be on there own in the yard but cant do it yet. One day I see a little snake, next day a frog lol...to dirty to keep on the patio forever lol

10. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I'm constantly looking and removing frogs and toads from the chicken area. I've always had a lot of them in the yard. I like the them and don't want them eaten. They can eat all the bugs they want though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: