frogs for snack????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchickowner, Oct 5, 2007.

1. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I'm not sure this is the right topic for my question, but I discovered a frog in my chicken spa. I found it when I was taking my broody hen out of the coop and I brought her over to the chicken spa to get a drink and when I walked close it dove to the bottom of the pool. I thought, cool, maybe he'll eat the misquoto larva for me so I don't have to keep cleaning it out. WRONG, on another trip with my boody hen to the Chicken spa today, he was floating belly up in the pool. I scooped him out disappointed, and noticed he had some lacerations on his upper thigh, but no other indications to why he died.

Would my chickens have killed him???? Do they eat frogs? and it was at least 3 inches long NOT extending his legs.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Yes, chickens will eat frogs, mice and even small snakes. It is normal for them to do so since they are omnivores.

Dawn

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Don't be surprised if they did kill it. Mine have killed and eaten rats. [​IMG]

4. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My girls have put a hurt on the garter snake population in my yard!

5. chickenfeathers

chickenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine even ate a baby bird that fell out of its nest.

I couldn't get to it in time. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. newchickowner

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    wow! I had no idea! thanks. They didn't eat the frog though, he was floating belly up still intact. Guess I treat them enough that they didn't really want to eat him.

7. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have some game birds free ranging and they will eat anything that moves.lol

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Get a duck. It will eat the mosquito larva out of the pool without getting eaten by the chickens, LOL.

Chel

9. newchickowner

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I'm working on it, I just tole my b/f the other day that I would love to have a few ducks!!! He just gave me the evil eye. [​IMG] Not to worry, he'll cave in after a while, he likes to act like he's in charge to stroke his ego. You ladies know what I'm talking about! [​IMG]

10. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    if momma is happy everyone is happy lol [​IMG]
    been married 36 years to the same lady and i know its true

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by