Frogs!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Darklingstorm, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    So I'm outside doing one of my many nest box checking when one of my production reds runs by me with legs dangling out of it's mouth. I was so surprised that I just had to look again. Sure enough she got herself a toad and is trying to make quick work of it. Then it happens, she is spotted by the others and the race is on. I wish I could have gotten a video of my red running through the yard with frog legs swinging back and forth; all the while being chased by the other 8 hens. I never knew chickens could run so fast or turn so quick. Eventually the legs were separated and other portions divided up amongst the girls. But I'll never forget the sight of those legs.

[​IMG]

2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    haha that woulda ben kool to see! [​IMG]

3. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Its soo funny to watch how greedy they can be.

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Really funny to see. Pretty funny when the ducks do it too.
    [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Noooo! Save the frogs!

6. icre8arch

icre8arch New Egg

May 9, 2010
    sullivan
    Saw the same sight you did. Really took me by surprise to see things (legs) dangling out of one of the hens beak. And then the other girls hot on her tail to get a piece of that frog. I love my girls to get nice bugs and worms, but eeeekkkkk a frog! By the time I got my wits together they had run off into the woods and the frog was history. funny sight, but made me sick to my stomach to think of poor froggie being dismembered by all those frantic peckers. RIP. Cherie

7. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I have a lot of frogs around and the chickies love them! When one grabs a frog, it's a free-for-all! But one time though, a frog stood up on its legs and just stood there. The chickens didn't eat that one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by