1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

From 100 percent fertile -- to zero???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilBizzy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a bantam flock - frizzled D'Uccle/cochin mixes and a silkie. Barney had 8 girls. Over a 2 month period 2 of the silkies died, leaving Barney and 6 girls. When we have checked the eggs, there was between 90 and 100 percent fertile. In the begining of July, they hatched out 6 chicks. In August, they hatched out 12.
    For 2 weeks now, 5 of the 6 have been sitting on eggs. I had not been able to go check them because I hurt my knee and couldnt get into the back corner of the coop where they are. So tonight, I made the hubby go check eggs. He pulled 18 out from under the girls, leaving maybe 6 or 8 under them. Out of the 20 we checked, not one was developing. Totally clear, every last one!
    Is it possible for a rooster to lose fertility? He is just over a year old. I have seen him busy with the girls, and as far as I know, nothing has changed.
    Any ideas?

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Fertility does tend to decline towards the later part of the year, but this seems a bit extreme.

I'd be interested to hear what experience others have had,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by