1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

From 16 to 25 bantams: who needs a couple free chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wink, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    In my previous posts, I had dwelled upon the reality and inevitability that my 2/9 order from Ideal would include my 16 bantams, plus the standard sized packing peanut Roos. I called up previously to ask if they can make a notation to include (if possible, never hurts to ask), that they fill the remaining 9 spots with a random assortment of bantams....my theory was that the way the freaky cold weather was right now in Texas, that my desired (and paid for) bantams would be crushed/smothered by their larger counterparts. I'd be left with standard Sized (free) packing peanuts.

When I called ideal today, I asked about bantams as my filler and I asked about the random cold snap we are having. They said they would most likely add standard Roos for warmth, and put extra straw in the box. All I could think about was smotherability.

Hung up, then inspiration hit at the 11th hour: buy more bantams to fill the box. Called back, got VM. Squeaky wheel gets oiled, so I called again within the hour. Got a live person this time. Asked if it was possible to add more bantams to my order, if it wasn't too late (my hatch date is 2/9!!!!!). Said it was fine that I got the random assortment (cheaper,too).

All is good to go! Hopefully NO standard Roos get tossed in, but it'll be a better ratio. I can get a refund for any DOA bantams.

Now, my reasoning may be sound but my brooder is small. I will most likely Craigslist the extras or 4h them, whichever moves faster. Just curious if ANYONE here who lives in my area of Texas (Dallas area,/ plano/McKinney/Anna area) would like a couple of free bantams???? Far shot but ya never know! They're arriving this Wednesday or Thursday!!!

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sounds like a winner to me! Too bad I live too far away... good luck with them; I'm sure you'll find some takers out there!

3. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Where in Texas are you? I live in Texas

4. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Oh wait! I just saw you said Dallas area. I am in the Waco area. I wish I lived a little closer. You'll find someone right there.

5. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:Boy, I'm hoping! I know I would love to have that many chicks, but I know it's not feasible......I won't even know what type they are, so i will have to take 8 million photos to get some feedback on breed!

6. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Ideal is very good with their shipping.I've ordered hundreds of Old English and other bantams from them and even when they added Pnuts,they never overdid it. All the birds always showed up happy and healthy.Most of the time their Pnuts are red broiler roosters,which are kinda 'in between' LF and BF size.

7. iplsmama

iplsmama Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    We might be interested....I may be crazy!! But I love Bantams, especially random babies!! We live near Greenville. Do you think they would be okay in the brooder with my two wk old chicks?? Keep me posted or PM me. I only have three in my brooder and it will definitely hold at least 8-10 so.....

8. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:Just PM'd you! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by