From 4 eggs a day to ?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigdaddyabc, Jul 24, 2010.

1. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    I am SO done with this heat! I was getting 4 eggs a day, EVERY day with several girls getting ready to start along with my 4 solid every day girls. I got NONE on Thursday and 1 yesterday and today. No feed change, no change at all. I added 600 SF to their run out into my woods on Friday so they will have more shade and bugs. I was hoping the larger shade area and cooler temps would help, but apparently not. Ice in waterers, check. Fan 24/7 since mid-June, check. If anyone has ANY other suggestions as to why my hens have decided to stop laying besides this doggone heat, PLEASE throw it out there.

Thanks!!

Rob

[​IMG]

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I don't know Rob, it sounds like you're doing all you can. Mine seem to decrease production if the humidity is high not necessarily the heat. I think maybe they put all they have into keeping cool. I have no science behind this, it just seems like this to me.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Any chance someone is nesting outside the box? Extra space... nice shady spot... just a thought.

4. bigdaddyabc

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Humidity too??!?!?! [​IMG]!!! I thought I had enough with the heat to worry about. They do lay in the run sometimes in nice shady spots. But, since true "free range" isn't possible the run is about 15 feet wide and 80 feet long or so. They have LOTS of room, but not so much they could be hiding them. I am thinking it is just the heat / humidity here in good 'ol SC. As in 99 yesterday and an average 55% humidity. Humidity peaked at 85% (yes, you read that right) at 9:30 am, and then dropped of throught the day as it got hotter and HOTTER and HHOOOTTTEERRR. The girls are fine, just no eggs. I don't blame them, I just need the eggs!

Rob

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I get about 12-16 a day from 30! it rots-I love the cool days:)

6. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Have you tried Electrolytes and Minerals mixed in their water? Sometimes when they are not drinking enough they aren't laying. It takes alot of good clean water for a hen to lay eggs. If they are not consuming enough water they will not lay. That has been my experience. The electrolytes triggers them to drink more and replenish their system. Good Luck [​IMG]

7. bigdaddyabc

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Beth G. :

Have you tried Electrolytes and Minerals mixed in their water? Sometimes when they are not drinking enough they aren't laying. It takes alot of good clean water for a hen to lay eggs. If they are not consuming enough water they will not lay. That has been my experience. The electrolytes triggers them to drink more and replenish their system. Good Luck [​IMG]

Yep. Any day over 90 immediately gets the vitamin / electrolyte mix turning the water a lovely shade of yellow. In fact, I bought a new 3.5 gallon waterer 2 weeks ago. I admit it was far more for me than them since I was filling the others every day at least once. I have gone from asking them where my eggs are to threatening them back to begging. It seems they do not speak plain english, or they simply don't care. [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I feel your pain, down here in Hollywood! We're in the high 90s and the humidity has pegged at 100% several times now. [​IMG]

Several of my hens quit laying, but it turned out they're broody.

9. wsand

wsand New Egg

Apr 8, 2010
    I'm up in Asheville and my seven layers have slowed production way down also. I thought it had to do with the SEVEN roosters I acquired out of only 10 peeps we bought at Tractor Supply last spring. They all started "coming of age" with the onset of the heat and I assumed the girls were just stressed by all those young males harassing them all day. I finally separated all the roosters from the hens yesterday (6 are going in the freezer this afternoon - anyone have any good pointers for culling and storing???) and was hoping I would start to see more eggs. Could be this will help, but I realize now from your post that the heat and humility are very likely taking their tool as well. Lord knows the weather has done a number to my vegetable garden - why not the chickens?!! Ah well, at least we know we're not alone.
    Suzanne

10. wsand

wsand New Egg

Apr 8, 2010
    Beth G. :

Where can I get this? Is it a standard item at the feed store? Any particular brand you recommend??​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by