From Australia. My chicken died suddenly

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Auvigirl, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Auvigirl

Auvigirl New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    She was running around the yard in the morning. In the afternoon she was dead. There was blood in the nesting box and I think the other chook had been eating her insides as her intestine was hanging out. Could she have had a prolapse? My friend suggested she could have eaten a spider? RIP "Bup-Bup".

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sounds like prolapse. They push their insides out trying to lay an egg and the others cannibalize them. I am so sorry for your loss. Make sure they always have oyster shell available at all times and they are eating enough layer feed. Hens need tons of calcium to give the shell a hard exterior and for the contractions to push that egg out. If they get dehydrated, this can also cause difficulties in getting those eggs out as well.

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the loss of your hen Bup-Bup. X2 what TwoCrows said, it could have been a prolapse leading to cannibalism. Double check for predators also in the coop/nesting box and yard, chickens will cannibalize the remains of chickens that were killed or died of other things.

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hello and welcome to BYC. So sorry to hear of your loss.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - hopefully your hen was not killed by a predator.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry to say chickens have some awful habits which can include cannibalism of chicks hatching, other birds wounded or distressed, or if they come across a dead flock member.

7. FourteenChicks

FourteenChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I'm also from Australia! Sorry to hear about your loss. I know what it feels like X2 my first chicken that died was old but I don't think that was the cause of her death. Recently one of my silkies was killed by another of my chooks it wasn't a very nice scene as the others ate her.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by