From bantams to large fowl...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poularde, Sep 24, 2010.

1. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    This may be a silly question, but I am new to breeding. I love so many breeds it is hard to choose which ones I want to breed. I am interested in having three small pens dedicated to a rare breed of chicken. I want a breed that needs work. I know there is a lot of them. For space reasons I think of bantams. My question is how hard is it to go from bantams to LF? Is it possible or is that wrong to even think of this? [​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I don't think I understand the question. What do you mean by "go from bantams to large fow"l?

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    As a general side note, bantams are much more common in the show ring than large fowl. If you really want a challenge, go with the large fowl. If you want to start "easy" and build your confidence up, get the best pair or trio of bantams you can buy and start showing them. Breed them in the spring and summer and hatch off offspring for Fall/Winter show birds and sell/give away the extras that are not up to par.

4. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    That is a good idea greenfamilyfarms I think you understand what I mean. NYREDS I know it is an odd question. I was thinking of helping preserve an endangered breed in bantam form for space reasons. I wanted to know if it would be possible to bring the bantam to a LF in the future. I hope that makes sense. [​IMG]

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:ahh, I see what you mean. I wonder if they would ever be considered LF, even if they were big... [​IMG]

6. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    I think I get it now. You're talking about breeding up from a bantam to a large fowl. I suppose it's possible but it would surely be a long project.
    I know someone who's working on doing just that with Red Pyle Modern Games. He's trying to improve feather & leg colour in the large fowl. The last I knew he was stuck on a very nice looking bird that was about 1/3 the size he needs to get to.
    All bantams, with the exception of the true bantams, have been bred down from large fowl. That seems easier for some reason.

7. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:ahh, I see what you mean. I wonder if they would ever be considered LF, even if they were big... [​IMG]

Of course they would. The distinction between bantam & lagre fowl is strictly based on size. If, for example, you bred a White Leghorn Bantam up to standard weight the resulting bird would be a large fowl White Leghorn.

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    And most breeds already have a large fowl equivalent, like Leghorns, Cochins etc. There are some that are strictly bantams though, like Dutch and Silkies (Silkies only in the US are bantams) and Japanese. I am sure there must be others but cannot think of one at the moment.

9. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    Rosecombs, Sebrights, Nankins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by