From bator to broody, anybody done his?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dancingbear, Aug 15, 2008.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I have 4 broodies right now. They tend to play musical nest, so I haven't let them have any eggs to keep. I don't want another round of taking out the new eggs every day, putting hens back on the eggs every day (several times a day) etc. I was hoping they'd run their course and give it up, but they show no sign of stopping, it's been about 5 weeks.

So I put a bunch of eggs in the bator. My plan is to incubate them until time to stop turning them, then whoever's still broody, I'll give them a few eggs, and hope for the best. I'll leave some in the bator to finish.

Have any of you done this before? If so, how'd it work out?

How about placing eggs under a broody hen when the eggs start to peep? I'd really rather let the hens raise them!

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I have done it, but not at the very end. It's important they get in there sooner than that (like when you can tell they're growing good). If you wait to put them under them until they start pipping, the humidity, etc. under the hen may not be right. And you definitely don't want to get them that far and put them under the hen only for them to leave the nest and you lose the baby(ies).

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have done it. I had 3 broody silkies and they all looked very puzzled at first. The chicks were all dried and fluffy first, then i put them under the broody's wings. They all 3 basically looked like this wasn't happening.
    within 1/2 hour, they ALL wanted the chicks, and they all 3 shared the mothering responsibilities all the way through [​IMG] Even the rooster helped feed them. Silkies are so sweet [​IMG]

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:THAT I would try, but I'd either do it before the last 3 days or after they hatched.

5. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I waited until mine hatched in the bator. They hatched throughout one day. That night I put the oldest "test" baby under my broody. Early, early the next morning and I checked on that baby. She was doing fine under her adoptive mom. I put the other 8 chicks under the broody before daylight and took away the fake eggs she was sitting on. I checked on her throughout the day and she was as happy as a broody hen can be. They are 3 weeks old today and everyone is happy, happy. Well, except for me when Momma thinks I'm too close to one of her babies and she pecks me. She is a Cuckoo marans hen and this was her very first time to go broody. She went broody within the week that I put the eggs in the bator so she sat about 16 or 17 days and then was blessed with 9 little ones that she protects dearly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by