From 'bator to broody, [b]update[/b]

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingbear, Sep 2, 2008.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Eggs began pipping last evening, and every 3 or 4 that was pipping or peeping I took down to the coop and placed under one of my 5 broody hens.

After 10, no more were ready to go, so I called it a night.
    Of the 10, 9 hatched, of the 9, 1 didn't make it. The others seem to be just fine.

The hens, though, except for the light Brahma, all abandoned them once they hatched. One was pecking at them. So the light Brahma has them all. She's happy with every chick she can get.

2 more in the 'bator trying hard to hatch, don't know if they will.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Glad the light Brahma took them in! There is nothing sweeter than a momma with new little babies. [​IMG] Get pics and post them!

3. dancingbear

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Thanks, Gumpsgirl, I'll get some pics when new mom is running around with them.

The 2 in the 'bator finally hatched early this A.M., one had been having a very hard time , I helped a little. Both are fine now, one pale one, one dark one! I'll slip them in with new mom tonight.

One of the 5 broodies gave it up yesterday, last night she (and her two 3/4 grown chicks from spring) were up on the perch poles for the first time since she brooded those two chicks. I didn't want to give her any eggs, anyway because of her two older chicks.

I'm hoping the rest will follow suit. If they don't, I have an enclosure I'll move them to. They'll just have feed, water, bare ground, and a lovely perch pole, but no nest boxes. It's roofed, so they'll be protected if we get any rain, but they'll just be outside in a pen, no solid walls. Maybe that'll snap them out of it.

I'm about done with chicken midwifery for this year. In the spring, I enjoy it, but by fall, I'm ready to have a break!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  4. dancingbear

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Final count, after 6 that never hatched, and 3 that got squashed in the nests, there are 8 live chicks, all with one hen, and the other broodies don't know what the heck they want to do. I'm ready to toss them all into the outdoor pen, except Mom hen. She's the only one doing what she's supposed to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by