From Brooder To Barn @ 5 Weeks w/ Photos

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissPrissy, Jun 30, 2007.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Tonight was the first night my 5 week old chicks are in their room in the barn.

[​IMG]

We put them on the roost.

[​IMG]

But they decided they would rather huddle.

[​IMG]

It was such a sense of freedom and doing the right thing when we moved them this evening. I was a little overwelmed with emotion.

[​IMG]

These two found a spot and watched our every move.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Oh they have an awesome home! I bet they're happy little campers!

3. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Thank you, Chelly. The chicken barn was build around 1915 by the man who built our house. We had to do a few repairs but nothing major. I said a prayer tonight hoping we have made it as secure as possible.

4. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    Very nice job! I hope all went as you planned! They look very content. I bet today they are perching and running around like nothing was any different! [​IMG]

5. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    great job! Isnt it just a great feeling to see them stretch out and enjoy the space of NOT being in the brooder? I put our first batch out at 3.5 weeks and the second lot went out at 3 weeks of age. ( it was a little warmer then as they are 4 weeks apart in age) I just love seeing them romp around and explore.

good for you mate, awesome digs for the chickens!

6. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Awww, what a nice place you have for them! I bet they're awfully pleased. [​IMG] They're lovely chicks, by the way.
    Have fun with them!

7. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    What a good looking barn! It's good that that you're using it. The chicks will be happy with all that space. [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    One of the reasons we bought this house is because of the barns. It has cost us a good bit of money to get everything in good working shape again. To me it just seems respectful of the house and the man who built it in 1909 to use what he built as it was intended. This barn will hold over 500 standard size layers. I do not plan to have 500! We are able to have a room for the chickens, a room for my brooder/nursery and supplies. The other rooms we may eventually add turkeys or geese. We have so many possibilities with this one barn. The other barn is a large animal barn with stalls for a team of horses, a cow or two and goats. It was built at the same time as the house (1909). I do not plan to have horses or cows but I am looking for 2 lovely milk goats and if not this year maybe next spring a couple of pigs.

We are living the good life! (and everyone we know thinks we are insane for wanting to sustain ourselves by living off what we grow and can raise.)

9. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I live on a farm and 4 years ago we moved horses back into a barn that was originally made for them. There is a strong sense of history and respect that comes with old barns. It just fills your soul. Maybe a person you trust who has horses could pay you to keep them in your barn. I've known good people who would jump at the chance to keep their horses at a place like that. You could enjoy looking at them and collect rent, but you'd have to worry about fencing.

I wish I had a few nubian goats around. We had turkeys for awhile til our tom mysteriosly dissappered the day before Thanksgiving (He was a pet). Do geese always run over to your front door to take a poo on your welcome mat, or were ours from H. E. double hockey sticks?

Old barns are the best. I bet yours would make the previous owner smile.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wren, I grew up on a farm and except for a year I lived in the city I have never not been on a farm. I come from a rural part of Georgia and now live in a rural area of Central Virginia. This area has become 'horse country' for a lot of wealthy people who have their country homes here but actually live in DC.

We put alot of effort into fixing the house and barns. I often wonder "What would Mr. Thayer think of the way we are restoring and using his home and barns nearly 100 years after he built them?" It is one of those things the historian in me rolls over in my head frequently.

I would like to think he and his wife would smile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by