1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

From Brooder To Bath

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Dec 2, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ok, they are almost 2 weeks old! My pekins are the biggest mess makers EVER! Anyone have any suggests on how to keep their need to spill a gallon of water in their brooder under control. I just use the jar with the ring around it waterer right now. I have to completely scrub this brooder out everyday. [​IMG]

Anyways, they have been getting daily bath time now.... and the kids have been a great help with them... so showing off my 2 little cute babies!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the jealous dog

[​IMG]

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Awww! I cant wait till ours hatch ( buff/mallard cross, not pekins)

When mine our inside I have a heavy bowl filled half way up, then just refill it at need. I also surround it with rags that I can just wring out when soaked.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i posted this elsewhere but it may help you too...

I made my duckies a waterer to kee them from making a mess... since you only have two it should work perfect for you:

[​IMG]

Just use a empty juice bottle and cut a hole. since your duckies are getting bigger, make the hole about 4 inches from the bottom, about 2 inches across. If they outgrow it, you can make another bigger one that's easier for them to use.

Line the hole with some duct tape to keep them from getting hurt on any sharp edges (it helps to make the hole square). Fill the water up to just below the hole. if you take the cap off, you can fill it with a water bottle or cup through the top when it gets low.

You will probably have to help your ducks learn it's where their water is. Simple place them by the waterer, push their heads in the hole and dip their beaks in the water. Do this a few times and they'll get the hang of it.

This should help keep the water from splashing everywhere. The hole is just big enough for their heads to stick in but not enough for them to play in.

4. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thank you so so so so much!!!! I have a TON of those juice bottles (I use them as mini greenhouses for my spring seeds on the porch) so I can take one and just create an awesome watered that won't soak their brooder....

For which I just changed their litter again today!!! Its soaked! I only had to refresh my chicks' pine shavings 1-2 a week.... I gotta change and WASH the brooder daily.

Ok... no more ducklings in the bathroom. [​IMG] This is my last batch EVER [​IMG] (Yeah, right!)

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

vfem, I don't feed and water my duckies in their brooder. I do that in the tub....I put a little water in the tub and pour their feed at the end where it is not as wet. They have a blast (sound like little jackhammers) sucking up the feed and water at the same time. after they have eaten, I fill up the tub so they can swim and play and preen etc....after the bath they can go back into the brooder and they are fine and growing like crazy....

that way you only have to clean up poop in the brooder.

6. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:I tried taking the food and water out at night, but they cheeped and cheeped and peeped and cried for like 2 hours!

Next think I know, they are trying to eat the pine shavings! Almost gave me a heart attack. I'm afraid to not give them complete access... though they are in the tub at least twice a day now.

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Hmmm, I did see a picture where someone put a pie pan under the waterer which I thougth was a neat idea. to catch the drippings. I think the jug thingy would work good too! I like that idea.

when I feed them, i do it right at bedtime, I let them eat, swim and then put them back in their brooder with a heatlamp. they preen and clean and snuggle down for a nap,...that quiets the chirping and they sleep all night

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  8. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    OH CRAZY!

They knock the bottle over so it spilled everywhere twice! Darn it, they're smart. I even put a little tray in there... they moved the bottle off of it and splashed in what made it into the tray.

Now they get to go for a long swim again this morning while I scrub the brooder out! [​IMG]

These guys are WAY to smart!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by