From brooder to coop, too big of an age difference

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EvansMeXo, Jun 23, 2017.

1. EvansMeXo

EvansMeXo Songster

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    So, it's my first time with chickens. I started off with 6 chicks, 3 EE 3 silkies, I didn't but like the silkies and rehomed and 2 EE were definite roosters so they went too. So I replaced them with new chicks and so went the cycle until I wound up in this predicament. My oldest is 7 weeks and ready to move to the coop when it's completed this weekend, and my youngest is 4 days. The rest are inbetween.. so I'm not sure what to do... move the fully feathered/almost fully feathered this weekend and leave the rest in the brooder and try to acquaint them again in a few weeks?? Make the big one stay in the brooder for a few more weeks?? Move them all together?? (No heat in the coop but it's starting to be pretty warm over nights) I need advice! Pic of the oldest and youngest two, there's such a difference lol, I have basically a full grown chick and two fresh babies and don't know what to do to keep everyone happy and friends
    IMG_2765.JPG IMG_2799.JPG IMG_2800.JPG

2. RonC

RonC Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Depends on what you call warm. The oldest is ready for the coop but I wouldn't put it in there alone. The smallest ones won't be ready for at least a month. Are the partially feather ones still using a supplimental heat source? Might have to split the group for a while and have some heat in both locations for the ones that need it.

EvansMeXo likes this.
  3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Are you sure these are EE? My baby EE started off with off white, ashy legs that are now dark gray at just about 3 weeks...

4. EvansMeXo

EvansMeXo Songster

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    That's what I was thinking.. I've had the heat lamp off until I got the babies so I *think* the others will be okay, their 4ish weeks
    IMG_2780.JPG IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2787.JPG IMG_2789.JPG IMG_2796.JPG IMG_2797.JPG
    These are the others, the only one I think will stay in with the babies is the last one, he's only just over 2 weeks.. I was hoping to keep them all together.. will it be hard to reintroduce?

Yup! I'm positive, the brown one has the puffy cheeks and comes from a green egg layer. The other too have a green egg laying EE mother crossed with a blue gened rooster.. my older one has the pea comb too

5. RonC

RonC Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    They are good at huddling together when sleeping to keep warm. Mine were three weeks, almost month old when they moved to the coop with a heat lamp in one corner. They had been brooded outdoors and really didn't use the lamp but a night or two when the temps would drop.

EvansMeXo likes this.
  6. EvansMeXo

EvansMeXo Songster

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia

Right now on cold nights it's 60F (15C) but everyday it's getting warmer so I'm hoping I'll be able to put them all in it together sooner rather than later.. I don't want them to go too long without seeing eachother and have them bully the littles when I add them, right now their all getting along great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: